You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-15 02:29:54

bpisciot

ALSA errors with PKGBUILD

I have a fancy Echo Audio pcmcia sound card (Indigo IO).   The Indigo IO module is built into the latest versions of the alsa-driver package.  I set up a PKGBUILD to configure the Indigo IO module.  Makepkg runs successfully.  When I use pacman to install ALSA, I get the following:

[root@bobarch1 alsa-driver]# pacman -U alsa-driver-*.pkg.tar.gz
loading package data... done.
checking for file conflicts...
error: the following file conflicts were found:
  alsa-driver: /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.alias: exists in filesystem
  alsa-driver: /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.ccwmap: exists in filesystem
  alsa-driver: /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.dep: exists in filesystem
  alsa-driver: /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.ieee1394map: exists in filesystem
  alsa-driver: /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.inputmap: exists in filesystem
  alsa-driver: /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.isapnpmap: exists in filesystem
  alsa-driver: /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.pcimap: exists in filesystem
  alsa-driver: /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.symbols: exists in filesystem
  alsa-driver: /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.usbmap: exists in filesystem

errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I'd appreciate any insights into how to proceed.   The Intel sound hardware on my Thinkpad notebook is non-functional, and I'd like to have some way to play music.

Bob Pisciotta

"You're only young once, but you can always be immature."

#2 2005-02-15 04:13:15

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: ALSA errors with PKGBUILD

This error happened because your package contains files already on the system (they belong to the kernel package).  In your PKGBUILD, after the make install line, put  a line to remove them:  rm $startdir/pkg/lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.*

This will remove the file conflicts.

#3 2005-02-15 09:09:15

tmadhavan

Can you also use pacman --force in that situation? Just for my own reference...

#4 2005-02-15 15:15:57

bpisciot

Thanks, Snowman.  This worked great.  Now my issue is that having installed the new build of ALSA it's still not finding the soundcard: snd-indigoio.  I'll do a little research into this issue.  Had the Echo/Indigo soundcard working with a Slackware installation, but I just had to try Arch on the machine.  I really like Arch--a lot--and would like to get my sound working.  Bob

Snowman wrote:

This error happened because your package contains files already on the system (they belong to the kernel package).  In your PKGBUILD, after the make install line, put  a line to remove them:  rm $startdir/pkg/lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH/modules.*

This will remove the file conflicts.

#5 2005-02-15 17:09:13

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

tmadhavan wrote:

Can you also use pacman --force in that situation? Just for my own reference...

Yes,  pacman --force will overwrite the existing files. But, I don't like the idea of packages overwriting each others  files.  If there is a problem with a file, you don't know to which package it belong.  IMO, my method is safer and more elegant.

EDIT: Of course, you need to include the conflicting package as a dependency.

#6 2005-02-16 13:03:28

JGC
Developer

Remove the files in the PKGBUILD and make a postinstall/postupgrade script that runs depmod -a. Without running this command, the drivers won't be available until next reboot.

#7 2005-02-18 14:33:14

bpisciot

I have dinked around with Alsa and this sound card in both Arch and Slack.  I had the device working in Slack 10.0, with the 1.0.6 version of Alsa.  I still cannot  get it to work with Alsa 1.0.8.  I'm coming around to the idea that there's a problem with the drivers for the Echo Indigo card in Alsa 1.0.8.  This may be a dumb idea, but...  Can I use pkgbuild to install earlier versions of Alsa with the modules for the sound card.  I only need to go back as far as 1.0.7.  If the answer is yes, I further presume I should edit pacman.conf to exclude updates to Alsa.  Is this a manageable proposition?  My alternative is to go back to Slack 10.0 on the machine.  As always, appreciate the help.

Bob P.

#8 2005-02-18 20:16:55

bpisciot

I just finished a Slack install on another machine.  Used 10.0 so I wouldn't have to deprecate drivers.  Patched and installed the 1.0.7 driver for Echo IndigoIo.  Worked great.  I'm pretty sure the problem is with the new drivers, not with anything in Arch.

Thanks for all the assistance.  The quality of the technical support in the Arch forums (and the Wiki) is among the best in the Linux world.  I have three notebooks in my possession, two with Arch, and it's just the best distro around.

Bob

Board footer