You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-22 10:52:38

portnoyboy

[SOLVED] HELP! Accidentally deleted akregator folder

Hi, a n00b here, I hope somebody can help me..

Don't know if this is a right forum, but since I use Arch and akregator is DE-specific app, so I post my questions here.. Sorry if it's a wrong forum..

My akregator was running in background when I accidentally deleted the akregator folder in ~/.kde4/share/apps/akregator  sad
It was a quite big archive ( >100 Mb ) with tags etc.. so I really don't wanna lose it..

But i haven't closed the akregator, everything is still normal, I can browse my archive, tags are still there etc.. But I'm afraid that if i close it, all will be gone  sad

The akregator complained it couldn't write feeds.opml, so i recreate the akregator folder and it's default sub folders: Archive and data, so it can write the opml file. The program did wrote the opml file into the data folder I recreated. But the Archive folder is still empty now.

My questions:

- If i close the akregator now, will I lose my archive forever? Or will it automatically recreate the archive? Because everything is still "there" now, I can read my feeds etc so it must be "somewhere"

- Where do akregator read these feeds I'm browsing now from? Are they in a temporary folder or memory? Is there anyway to copy that "temporary" data?

Thanks for your help.. smile

Last edited by portnoyboy (2009-12-24 14:18:55)

#2 2009-12-22 12:26:14

acmps

Re: [SOLVED] HELP! Accidentally deleted akregator folder

At this moment all your feeds are in RAM. There is no way to copy them from ram otherwise than exporting your feeds to a opml file then close akregator and import them.

Yes, if you close akregator they will be all gone.

#3 2009-12-22 13:47:00

jdarnold
Website

How did you delete this folder? If it was from a DE like KDE or GNOME, it may have just moved it to the trash.

#4 2009-12-22 14:51:15

portnoyboy

Hi thx 4 d replies smile

@ jdarnold
I'm afraid i used "rm -r", i forgot to "cd" to the the real folder I wanted to delete  sad

@ acmps
I think like that too, but of course I hope I'm wrong smile 
So there's absolutely no way I could dump this data from RAM?  *still-hoping-for-a-miracle*
I used "photorec" to try to undelete the akregator folder, but unfortunately the program changed the names of the files it found so they're unusable.

BTW I think it'd be a nice feature if we have "Backup Archive" or something like that in Akregator. Another plus if we can choose which feed(s) or which folder(s) to backup..

#5 2009-12-24 14:18:34

portnoyboy

I managed to recover ALL of my deleted feeds by following this guide:

http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/58142

I'm glad I didn't close the program! Thank you to bcooksley from KDE Forum for showing me the link  wink

Board footer