You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-25 04:34:30

leetstalker

starting programs on different screens & Vdesktops

Having trouble findind ways to start gui progs in specific screens IE (screen 0 or screen 1), or starting them in a speicific virtual desktop. Anyone know what command line options are available? I havent found anything, maybe i just fail at google. Any help is appreciated, i think being able to do this could be useful. Specially when using something like awesome3 as opposed to gnome/kde. I tried awesome3 for a bit but i didnt have enough control. Knowing how to do this would definetly give me enough control to use it. I plan to put it on a netbook.

#2 2009-12-25 05:08:48

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: starting programs on different screens & Vdesktops

I don't use Awesome but, seeing it is based on dwm, it should be the same thing: you just assign applications to tags in your config - then, when you launch them, they appear in the requisite spot.

In Openbox, it is simply a matter of matching the application to the desktop in rc.xml. From what I have seen of various DE/WMs, this sort of functionality is pretty standard.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2009-12-25 05:14:56

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: starting programs on different screens & Vdesktops

I don't use awesome so I can't give you specifics, but assign applications to specific 'tags'. Then you can switch in between tags with MOD-{1-9}.

Board footer