#1 2009-12-25 10:47:37

moljac024

Installing GRUB to USB

GRUB is giving me some trouble.

I copied my /boot partition to an usb partition, installed grub with:

root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)
quit

That all went well. GRUB actually reads the config correctly but then it won't boot from the same partition it read the config from, saying it can't mount the filesystem or something like that (which is ext3). So, WTF? smile

Last edited by moljac024 (2009-12-25 10:48:19)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#2 2009-12-25 14:10:22

Gen2ly
Website

Re: Installing GRUB to USB

I would guess that it has to do with the order of devices the bios sees when booting up, moljac024.  Have you tried tab-completion from the boot-shell to see if the discovered device is the correct one?

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#3 2009-12-26 09:02:08

moljac024

Re: Installing GRUB to USB

Hmm, it does look like it's seeing the usb (aka /dev/sdb) as hd0...I'm puzzled, why is that? Is hd0 always the disk from whose mbr grub is loaded? That would be nice. If not, is there a way to reference the disk grub is loading from?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer