You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-26 16:42:01

prairie_dad

suggestions for admins...section on Virtualbox? Gnome complaints...

I wonder if a separate section in the forums for people using Virtualbox would be appropriate?  Or even two..one for people using VBox as a host on top of arch, one for people installing arch as a guest (as I am, on OS X 10.6.2, Snow Leopard.)

I have problem of vboxvideo_dri.so vs. vboxvideo_drv.so, same as others have had....  Is this an arch problem?  why are there folders in same directory called "drivers" and "dri?"  Couldn't the one point to the other...which would hold all the contents.  I have no 3D accel in X (using Gnome right now I get 400+ fps from glxgears...)

Also, have some what I think are permissions problems...though I installed Gnome according to instructions.  At first it couldn't access root even in Nautilus to have a look, I fixed that by adding my user to "disk" I think...now it can access root (say, in Nautilus or terminal) but not change anything. 

Now, every time I quit Gnome (by logging myself out of it) I get a ton of error messages...including that it couldn't reach the vboxvideo_dri (both the name and the directory it is looking in are "wrong") and then some messages about files in /root that it couldn't create...these come from gnome-session, among other places...should there be a "user" for gnome, and if so, what groups should it be in...as opposed to my own user account?

Any thoughts?

thanks

dave

Edit one: I also get warnings from windows manager, that services are not available...this at the very end of the long error message from pixman (pixelman?) that comes when I log out of Gnome...

Edit two: iMac with quad core i5 chip, the VM has 2 gig RAM and 128 for video, two processors assigned.  stuff is fast...if it works!

Last edited by prairie_dad (2009-12-26 16:59:18)

Board footer