You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-26 03:10:01

novafluxx

Fresh Install Questions - Firefox, KDE desktop icon text, mouse button

I've been running and experimenting with an Arch install inside of a Virtual Box VM for months now! I've finally decided it was time to just do it!

I've installed it on my 2nd hard drive! I was able to use my experience from working with it in the VM to make the installation go swiftly.

My current issues are these:

I've installed archlinux-wallpapers and when I have KDE desktop set to folder view, viewing the Desktop folder, the icon's text is fuzzy, and very difficult to read, unless I select the icon, then its readable.

Firefox - I've installed it via pacman for now, but it looks ugly! Its horrible looking! I understand its a GTK program and KDE is the beautiful Qt4.

How can I change the Desktop icons text?

How can I configure my mouse buttons? I have a 7 button mouse with wheel (Razer Copperhead)

How can I make GTK programs look more Qt4 native-ish?

#2 2009-12-26 03:44:39

sHyLoCk

Re: Fresh Install Questions - Firefox, KDE desktop icon text, mouse button

novafluxx wrote:

I've installed archlinux-wallpapers and when I have KDE desktop set to folder view, viewing the Desktop folder, the icon's text is fuzzy, and very difficult to read, unless I select the icon, then its readable.

Check System Settings->Appearance->Fonts

novafluxx wrote:

Firefox - I've installed it via pacman for now, but it looks ugly! Its horrible looking! I understand its a GTK program and KDE is the beautiful Qt4.
How can I make GTK programs look more Qt4 native-ish?

People will refer you to an Arch wiki article which will suggest you to install gtk-qt-engine, but I will suggest against it. I personally have faced and seen many others facing the problem with gtk-qt-engine, firefox process doesn't kill even if you quit it, and CPU usage reaches 100%. So unless you like to killall firefox-bin everytime I'd suggest the following:

1. Install gtk-chtheme
2. Install qtcurve-gtk2/kde4
3. Launch gtk-chtheme from a terminal and select qtcurve and appl. Reboot is not necessary but restarting firefox maybe required.

Regards

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2009-12-26 03:46:27)

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2009-12-26 21:18:38

novafluxx

Thank you, I've heard of qtcurve before, but not gtk-chtheme - what is that?

I've installed qtcurve for gkt2 and kde4, I've installed gtk-chtheme. I also figured out how to change the Desktop icon text color, so thats perfect right now!

How do I use qtcurve to make Firefox look native?

Last edited by novafluxx (2009-12-26 21:47:11)

#4 2009-12-26 22:31:23

Gen2ly
Website

nova, you can look at the kde article on the wiki for more about qtcurve and setting up a gtk color scheme.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#5 2009-12-26 22:34:41

novafluxx

Gen2ly wrote:

nova, you can look at the kde article on the wiki for more about qtcurve and setting up a gtk color scheme.

I ran gtk-chtheme and set it to QtCurve, it looks better, but still not as good as I know is possible. Thank you for the suggestions, I will RTFM!

#6 2010-02-24 02:44:09

XtrmGmr99

sHyLoCk wrote:

People will refer you to an Arch wiki article which will suggest you to install gtk-qt-engine, but I will suggest against it. I personally have faced and seen many others facing the problem with gtk-qt-engine, firefox process doesn't kill even if you quit it, and CPU usage reaches 100%. So unless you like to killall firefox-bin everytime I'd suggest the following:

1. Install gtk-chtheme
2. Install qtcurve-gtk2/kde4
3. Launch gtk-chtheme from a terminal and select qtcurve and appl. Reboot is not necessary but restarting firefox maybe required.

Regards

I... I think I love you. I've been dealing with the kill problem and ugly browser buttons for weeks! This is a much better approach! Thank you!

#7 2010-02-24 05:45:05

Mardoct

novafluxx wrote:

I ran gtk-chtheme and set it to QtCurve, it looks better, but still not as good as I know is possible. Thank you for the suggestions, I will RTFM!

If you're using FF 3.6 you can also google for Firefox Personas to get a variety of good looks. You still want the gtk-qt-theme though for any other GTK apps.

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

Board footer