You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-28 00:07:18

Xenokite
Website

[Solved]Full /root partition!!! [Solved]

Other then "CHROOT" is there some type of package i can install that i can run to clean up tmp files and stuff of that nature? Right now i got a box that will not boot into GUI. So if there is a few files that i can removed manually that would be great to know.

Last edited by Xenokite (2009-12-28 01:51:23)

Registered Linux user :#500622
"être fort pour être utile" (be strong to be useful) —Georges Hébert
"There is only Good people and Bad people, we should not be judged by Race, religion or sex but we should be judged by our deeds or actions." - Lindsey Irving
Xenokite aka Lycan

#2 2009-12-28 00:18:27

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [Solved]Full /root partition!!! [Solved]

Clear your pacman cache, and take a look in /var/log, the cupilt is usually in there.

Installing anything when your / is full is a really bad idea. http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11639

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2009-12-28 00:19:37)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2009-12-28 00:33:14

Xenokite
Website

Cool thanks is there like a basic size for that most arch users use for there / partition?

"There is only Good people and Bad people, we should not be judged by Race, religion or sex but we should be judged by our deeds or actions." - Lindsey Irving
Xenokite aka Lycan

#4 2009-12-28 00:36:39

Xenokite
Website

Mr.Elendig wrote:

Clear your pacman cache, and take a look in /var/log, the cupilt is usually in there.

Installing anything when your / is full is a really bad idea. http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11639

are there suppose to be files in there that are like 1 to 2 GB large?.. seems kinda big for just log files.

Xenokite aka Lycan

#5 2009-12-28 00:37:06

fsckd
Forum Fellow

I don't keep my pacman cache in my root partition. Bearing that, I'm quite fine with 6 GiB. It depends on what you're doing with your system and what data you're storing where.

Edit:

Xenokite wrote:
Mr.Elendig wrote:

are there suppose to be files in there that are like 1 to 2 GB large?.. seems kinda big for just log files.

Umm, you should really check and see what's creating 2 GiB of logs. That's a sure sign of problems if there was any.

Last edited by fsckd (2009-12-28 00:40:11)

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#6 2009-12-28 00:47:54

Xenokite
Website

fsckd wrote:

I don't keep my pacman cache in my root partition. Bearing that, I'm quite fine with 6 GiB. It depends on what you're doing with your system and what data you're storing where.

Edit:

Xenokite wrote:
Mr.Elendig wrote:

Umm, you should really check and see what's creating 2 GiB of logs. That's a sure sign of problems if there was any.

it looks like the the app "SLim". There is a .gz file and a log file totaling 3gb.

Xenokite aka Lycan

#7 2009-12-28 00:54:53

chpln

Xenokite wrote:

Cool thanks is there like a basic size for that most arch users use for there / partition?

10GB-15GB in total put aside for / is generally plenty (assuming only a separate /home), though you may need to adjust that either way depending on your usage.

My preference is to further subdivide /, though that is entirely up to you.

#8 2009-12-28 01:49:28

Xenokite
Website

chpln wrote:
Xenokite wrote:

10GB-15GB in total put aside for / is generally plenty (assuming only a separate /home), though you may need to adjust that either way depending on your usage.

My preference is to further subdivide /, though that is entirely up to you.

thanks, that seems to make sense since i am running a 7.7gb  / right now. Well i'm back on my box now going to run thru my packages and see what i do not use anymore to save space. Could / be resized?

Xenokite aka Lycan

#9 2009-12-28 04:58:30

chpln

It is possible to resize ext[2-4] filesystems (among others).  However, unless you have unallocated space on the disk following the partition it may be quicker and easier to backup and repartition the disk from scratch.

#10 2009-12-28 07:08:40

Xenokite
Website

chpln wrote:

It is possible to resize ext[2-4] filesystems (among others).  However, unless you have unallocated space on the disk following the partition it may be quicker and easier to backup and repartition the disk from scratch.

ouch..i guess i will do that later. sorry to kept adding crap to this but the load-up screen towards the end when it is loading up the background daemon puts up a few lines of errors but of course it go away to fast so can read it. Is there a way to stop or slow it down so that i can read it or is there a folder where it saves it. (have a feeling that might be the log folder in /var)

Xenokite aka Lycan

#11 2009-12-28 07:13:51

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pos … ot_Process

You should start a new thread, rather than add separate questions to a solved one...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer