You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-09 15:38:20

sweetandy
Website

I think I know why my mom is so satisfied with Arch

I set my mom up with Arch a month or two ago (some of you may remember), and I have to tell you, she has never been happier with her computer. This is one kick-ass success story.

I have a theory about this, and I'll try not to provide troll bait.

Microsoft, despite the flaws some of us may perceive it to have, is very successful in the operating system market. Because of their flagship product's popularity, they have to market it and design it to appeal to the broadest possible userbase in order to keep up their popularity. This is, while also a boon, a cause of a strong deficit in their final Windows product.

Apple has very strong, avid supporters, and because they have a smaller userbase, and because their userbase has identified themselves with Apple and its methods sometimes from the start of Apple (or at least their Macintosh line), they know with more certainty the type of computer their users end up wanting. They provide great products, but they still have to design it with a large number of people in mind. It suffers from this in the realm of ultimate customizability; less than Microsoft's Windows, but the problem does persist.

My mother was not happy with Windows. She was quite a bit happier with a Macintosh.

Now from what I can tell, Linux users are by and large control-freaks (I am one too), in that they like to have their computers a certain way; this is one big reason to pick Linux over other available OSes, though as we all know it is not the only one.

Canonical is beginning to suffer from the same aforementioned problems that Microsoft and Apple face because of Canonical's growing userbase and the participation of many inexperienced computer users. I give great kudos for the work Canonical has done with Ubuntu, but like any operating system, it isn't for everyone.

My mother is not a particularly strong computer user, but she knows what she needs, and is willing to voice that. Because I built my mother's Arch Linux computer with my own two hands, keeping her needs and desires in mind for the entire process, her computer is exactly what she wants and needs it to be. It does exactly what she wants and needs it to do. This is simply not possible with the aforementioned operating systems, at least not to the extent that I have achieved with my mom and her Arch Linux computer.

I'm very proud that I can service her computer for her at the drop of a hat, since I still live with my parents. Arch may not be for every inexperienced user, but it certainly fills its role in this house.

My mom is extremely satisfied with her computer, more so than any other computer she has ever used. I attribute that satisfaction in part to my decent GNU/Linux prowess, but mostly to The Arch Way and the general Arch philosophy. In my opinion, this project fulfills its goals more completely than most distributions, owing in part to the aimed simplicity and flexibility.

Thank you, Arch developers. You have created something magical in your project. Keep up the excellent work.

My MOM uses Arch Linux.

"Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?"

#2 2009-12-10 07:37:32

toxygen

Re: I think I know why my mom is so satisfied with Arch

that has always been my main point when people ask me why I use linux.  I have it set to do *exactly* what I want it to do, when I want it to do it.  yes, it takes time and dedication, but I also always saw a computer not so much as a vehicle to let me do x, y, or z, but as a real swiss-army-knife type of tool, where I have a set tool for graphic design, programming, browsing, etc.  Each tool is beneficial, each tool needs proper care, and so on. 

When other people ask me if they should switch to linux, I ask them, not only how much time and willingness to learn they're prepared to use, but also what exactly their expectations are. Most people (coming from windows) dont really know what they want, because they're used to taking what they get (from microsoft and other companies) so a lot of the time I think they don't know how much choice they have (and responsibility to make those choices).  Most people coming from other OSes I think come with the mentality of "what's linux going to give me that I already get from microsoft/apple?" instead of taking the approach of "what do I want to do with my computer now that I have the tool to set it up how I want it."

kudos to you for setting up as your mother needs it.  You could make a good business setting people's PCs with linux as they need it, though it would take time and dedication on your part.

Last edited by toxygen (2009-12-10 07:37:49)

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#3 2009-12-10 09:00:27

SoleSoul

This was one beautiful story roll
Can you please describe shortly the components you chose and the main modifications you have done?
For curiosity, and maybe to learn something on the way.

#4 2009-12-10 10:03:59

Website

as an actual ubuntu user, I totally agree with your comment about pleasing the crowd, very true (same thing is for polititians, they try to please everyone but end up doing nothing good lol).

The thing about arch, is that it doesnt matter if it becomes the most popular OS ever, It will stay the same, because YOU have the tools for customizing it to your needs and likes. Thats why I switched to arch.

true it seems a little overwhelming for some to configure things from a terminal editing text files and such, but its the BEST way to learn linux that I have found. Also the wiki here is the best that I have seen in my life.

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#5 2009-12-10 10:50:56

quarkup
Website

yay !

Another archlinux user big_smile

Actually I share your opinion and personally:
  - I think the arch community is excellent, users are much competent. and of course, the devs are great !
  - The arch's philosophy is just great and simple.

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#6 2009-12-10 11:06:58

Gen2ly
Website

Have to agree for basic tasks, if you know how to setup Linux, a lot of Windows users could use Linux and have few qualms about it.  Other OS users might find it hard to believe, but whenever I use Mac of Windows nowdays doing tasks does feel a bit awkward.

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-12-10 11:10:51)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#7 2009-12-10 12:48:02

jack.mitchell
Website

I have a similar success story.

My flatmate at uni has an 5 year old dell with xp on it. Ran like a dog, always breaking. I installed arch on it for him just a basic openbox setup to get him started. Now because I live with him, during the year whenever he came across something he needed to do on his computer then he would just ask me and i'd help him install it. What happened was after about a month we'd come accross everything he used his computer for, which was basically word processing, camera photos, web browsing, playing music and the odd bit of game emulation. He still uses it to this day and say's he rarely boots into windows, he only ever does when he updates and something breaks that he needs me to have a quick look at, usually nothing serious.

The trick is, identifying what the user needs and keeping it from breaking wink which results in bringing a practically dead laptop back into use.

It also blazes through everything he does, no need at all for it to be any faster.

Jack.

#8 2009-12-11 10:25:39

zowki
Website

sweetandy, could you perhaps post a screenshot of your mom's desktop? I'm just curious as to how you configured it.

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#9 2009-12-11 11:39:22

Gen2ly
Website

vMnl2NQ

big_smile

J/k.  I'd like to see it too.

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-12-11 12:22:14)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#10 2009-12-28 17:02:40

SIGTERM
Website

My mum uses Arch too smile.

Board footer