You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-30 20:00:50

cynicalpsycho

Gnome programs that may require root access no prompt for password

Hey, recent convert from ubuntu to arch, one of the window manages i'm installing is Gnome to show off how simple linux can be (go figure). I was wondering if anyone would know of a way to make programs in gnome that may require a root password to do certain changes throw up a prompt asking for a password to gain sudo priviledges?

Example: I try to make changes to the network through the GUI program network-admin.
When I click the link it throws up the program, but will not allow me to make changes to it because i'm not root. In ubuntu, it simply prompted for a password, but with the default setup on arch. I don't have that functionality.

Now I know I could simply run: sudo network-admin and have access to the program with no problem... but i would still prefer the other way, does anyone know how I could achieve this?

note: I'm thinking it has something to do with the group that my user needs to be in... what group would your user need to be in to edit gnome's configuration files?

Last edited by cynicalpsycho (2009-12-30 20:13:37)

#2 2009-12-30 20:46:07

jdarnold
Website

Re: Gnome programs that may require root access no prompt for password

To have a program prompt you for the root password and run as root, run it via the 'gksu' program. At least I think that's what it is called in GNOME. In KDE, you use 'kdesu', so change the menu item or create a new shortcut that does a :

gksu network-manager

Board footer