You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-18 23:54:31

Azriel

Flash player block the sound. [SOLVED]

Hi !

I'm having a problem with Flash which is the kind of little annoyance that can quite quickly get on someone nerve. Here it is:

Every time a flash video is played, the flashplugin stop the sound from working anywhere else. What actually happens is that if I type "lsof /dev/dsp/" the output will be the process in which the flash video is, or has been played. The major problem is that even if I leave the page containing the flash video, as long as the process is active I won't be able to have any sound... So I have to kill the process.

This has been more tolerable lately since I switched to Chrome, since every tab is its own process I just have to close the bad tab, but that is still quite annoying.

I have absolutely no idea what can cause the flash plugin to act like that, I've searched over google and this forum and haven't been able to find anyone having the same problem... Am I the only one to experience that ?

On a seemingly unrelated subject, the sound in flash video is delayed by about one second, whereas it is good in any over case (amarok and VLC).

I am running arch 64, and am using the flashplugin that can be found in the extra repository of Arch:

pacman -Qs flash
local/flashplugin 10.0.42.34-1
    Adobe Flash Player
local/libflashsupport 9.0.21.78-5
    Macromedia flash plugin support lib (OSS SSL)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If something isn't clear, please ask me, I am French so my English might not be perfect...

Last edited by Azriel (2009-12-21 21:47:01)

#2 2009-12-19 00:07:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Flash player block the sound. [SOLVED]

You're using alsa, and have to set up dmix. Or switch to pulseaudio or a similar sound server.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-12-19 00:15:44

Azriel

Using your message I went to the Arch wiki and found that. I've done wht they said by adding snd-pcm-oss to my banned modules, and everything seems to be fine !

The sound delay also seem to have disappeared, or at least reduced a huge lot.

Thank you very much for your help !

#4 2009-12-31 00:36:47

tanguyr

Azriel wrote:

Using your message I went to the Arch wiki and found that. I've done wht they said by adding snd-pcm-oss to my banned modules, and everything seems to be fine !

The sound delay also seem to have disappeared, or at least reduced a huge lot.

Thank you very much for your help !

Cheers to the both of you, i was having the same problems and they were driving me nuts!

Board footer