You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-30 14:20:01

fazamataz
Website

Installation under VirtualBox - Downloads keep stopping

Hi All,

Im having a problem during the download part of the Arch install. Im running Arch (FTP) 32 bit installer, within Virtual Box, under Windows 7, over a wireless network. Ive set my network adapter to bridge mode.

Everything works great up to step 5 - install packages, where it starts the download. Pacman seems work fine then stops downloading a package randomly (Ive tried it 4 different times, using different mirrors; each time it stops at a different one for over 30 mins, the afi process and network adapter are both doing nothing). The network seems to be working, even when its stopped; I can use wget and ping without a problem etc.

The way Im currently getting round it is by switching to a new terminal, killing the pacman process, deleting the lock file (/mnt/var/lib/pacman/db.lck), and restarting the download, and it resumes from where it started. 

I guess I have a couple questions, 1. is there a proper way to stop/resume an install with aif , and 2. has anybody else seen this or know why it might be happening?

#2 2009-12-31 02:32:31

shacristo

Re: Installation under VirtualBox - Downloads keep stopping

I had the same problem with the x64 version in virtualbox on Arch.  I just used the core cd to install then updated.

#3 2009-12-31 05:46:27

hammerheart

Strange.  I've having the same problem with the x64 version as well.  Did you figure out if its Arch or VirtualBox that's causing the problem?

Last edited by hammerheart (2009-12-31 07:05:30)

#4 2009-12-31 13:42:17

fazamataz
Website

I have a feeling it may be Virtual Box because I've seen other posts with similar network problems (although most people report that the network doesn't work at all).  Its a bit weird though; after the install I haven't had a single problem.

Board footer