You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-31 00:25:41

Benedict_White
Website

How do I interact with a USB device?

Odd question perhaps, but I have just bought, and it arrived today, something called a UBW32. It seems to work, contains a PIC32 series MCU and has a basic system where you can communucate to it and get it to do basic things.

On Windows you would talk to it over hyperterm. It comes up as /dev/ttyACM0 and all I need to do is open somekind of terminal session to it.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards

Benedict White

#2 2009-12-31 07:03:18

ewaller
Administrator

Re: How do I interact with a USB device?

try gtkterm, putty, or minicom. 

These are all serial terminal emulators and should allow you to talk to devices that map themselves as /dev/tty*

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2009-12-31 12:23:51

Benedict_White
Website

GTKterm works very well thank you! I can now play with my new toy to my hearts content!

Kind regards

Benedict White

#4 2009-12-31 12:43:38

tlvb
Website

If you want to automate stuff i.e. make a program that talks to it, have a look at python-pyserial.

I need a sorted list of all random numbers, so that I can retrieve a suitable one later with a binary search instead of having to iterate through the generation process every time.

#5 2009-12-31 23:39:55

Benedict_White
Website

Cheers (And a Happy New Year!) TLVB, I wonder if there is similar for perl, as I don't do Python yet but do a bit of perl.. that said I am looking to build systems that run with out connections to PC's, though they may end up with web interfaces etc. I have got an LED turning on and off.. not exciting stuff, but I hope it will be. I can also program the device with any code I want over USB.

Kind regards

Benedict White

Board footer