#1 2009-12-29 10:49:29

Archiee
Website

[Solved] kernel26-ice (Tuxonice) issue

Hello 2gether,

I installed kernel26-ice following this guide:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tuxonice

yaourt -S kernel26-ice

After that I rebooted to start the new kernel but in GRUB there is only the old 2.6.31-ARCH kernel listed
and if I issue

uname -a

there comes "2.6.31-ARCH" out.

Can anybody help me to boot from the new kernel?

Greetz

Archiee

Last edited by Archiee (2010-01-01 14:46:54)

我爱中国!

#2 2009-12-29 10:58:15

ZaQ

Re: [Solved] kernel26-ice (Tuxonice) issue

I guess you have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. Can you post that file ^^

#3 2009-12-29 11:21:59

Archiee
Website

Hi and thanks for your reply.

THis is my menu.lst:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/1ba55255-edc6-4143-beb4-72e1c688e7b0 resume=/dev/sda4 ro i915.modeset=1
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/1ba55255-edc6-4143-beb4-72e1c688e7b0 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

我爱中国!

#4 2009-12-29 12:17:07

Frostwarrior

Do an alternative entry for the tuxonice source, and rename the vmlinuz image to kernel-tuxonice or whatever just to debug it correctly, since vmlinuz25 can be anything from standard kernel to vanilla.

#5 2009-12-29 13:32:14

ZaQ

yup, you need to add something like

#  Arch Linux Ice
title  Arch Linux Ice
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26-ice root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/1ba55255-edc6-4143-beb4-72e1c688e7b0 resume=/dev/sda4 ro i915.modeset=1
initrd /boot/kernel26-ice.img

#6 2009-12-29 15:29:58

Archiee
Website

Thx to ZaQ and Frostwarrior for your great support.

I works now.

But I think, the tuxonice-wiki has an error in it..
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tuxonice

It says:

f your swap partition is for instance /dev/sda3, you have to append "resume=swap:/dev/sda3" as a kernel parameter in your lilo.conf file or GRUB's /boot/grub/menu.lst

.. but this kernel paramter doesn't work for me.

it works with resume=/path/to swap .

Funny.. they suggest the same error on Tuxonice-Howto page:
http://www.tuxonice.net/HOWTO-2.html#ss2.5

Maybe it's not an error but it doesn't work for Archlinux systems..
I don't know exactly...

Anyway, it works now and hibernate is very fast smile)))

Greetz

Archiee

Last edited by Archiee (2009-12-29 15:31:03)

我爱中国!

#7 2009-12-29 15:37:12

lucke

With newest tuxonice you don't need resume parameter at all if you have a swap partition.

#8 2009-12-29 21:34:30

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

lucke wrote:

With newest tuxonice you don't need resume parameter at all if you have a swap partition.

Details please? I haven't heard of this, and coincidentally haven't been able to get hibernate working for quite a while (used to, with the wiki method).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2009-12-29 21:48:01

lucke

Read the latest news at tuxonice.net.

I'm pretty sure it worked on one of my PCs without the resume parameter. I've tested it on my main machine after posting and it didn't quite work - but yeah, latest tuxonice seems to work with mkinitcpio 0.5.26 and resume=/dev/sdXY, while before only 0.5.24 and resume=swap:/dev/sdXY worked (mkinitcpio newer than 0.5.24 broke parsing of that "swap" bit).

#10 2009-12-29 22:01:18

Archiee
Website

Ah, OK.

Then someone should update the Wiki, plz.

我爱中国!

#11 2009-12-30 01:36:43

bangkok_manouel

why don't you do it ?

#12 2009-12-31 01:33:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I've done that. Archiee, if you're going to be hanging around using Arch, get used to editing the wiki for up-to-date info. Its a community project, not a place where people work for you.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#13 2009-12-31 10:08:07

lucke

It seems that removing the resume parameter won't work without modifying the resume hook (comment out lines 6, 10 and 19). I presume booting from swap file or hibernation file stiil needs the (swap|file):/dev/sdXY form.

I'm not sure how setting the location from within hibernate-scripts plays into all this (I use pm-utils).

We should come up with some proper resume hook, supporting resuming with and without the resume parameter, and preferably working with poll_device (I guess that function was implemented for slow-to-start USB-or-whatnot drives?).

Related bug: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15240

#14 2009-12-31 12:42:31

Archiee
Website

lucke wrote:

I presume booting from swap file or hibernation file stiil needs the (swap|file):/dev/sdXY form.

We should come up with some proper resume hook, supporting resuming with and without the resume parameter, and preferably working with poll_device (I guess that function was implemented for slow-to-start USB-or-whatnot drives?).

There is already a solution:

From http://www.tuxonice.net/ at News Section:

With this version, if your system has a swap partition, you should no longer need to provide a resume= parameter on the command line. TuxOnIce will automatically set the resume= parameter to the first swap partition it finds, unless it finds an image header on another swap partition (in which can it will resume using that partition's information). This applies even if you only use file based storage, because the block that resume= points to is ONLY used to tell us where to find the start of the image proper. This swap device doesn't even have to be swapon'd when you start to hibernate for this functionality to work correctly.

@ngoonee

I'm not a pro User like you, so I didn't want to edit it. To avoid errors in Wiki, I think, only high skilled ppl should edit the Wiki page.

I hope you understand my thoughts..

我爱中国!

#15 2010-01-01 01:40:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Archiee wrote:
lucke wrote:

I presume booting from swap file or hibernation file stiil needs the (swap|file):/dev/sdXY form.

There is already a solution:

From http://www.tuxonice.net/ at News Section:

With this version, if your system has a swap partition, you should no longer need to provide a resume= parameter on the command line. TuxOnIce will automatically set the resume= parameter to the first swap partition it finds, unless it finds an image header on another swap partition (in which can it will resume using that partition's information). This applies even if you only use file based storage, because the block that resume= points to is ONLY used to tell us where to find the start of the image proper. This swap device doesn't even have to be swapon'd when you start to hibernate for this functionality to work correctly.

@ngoonee

I'm not a pro User like you, so I didn't want to edit it. To avoid errors in Wiki, I think, only high skilled ppl should edit the Wiki page.

I hope you understand my thoughts..

You're using Arch, which qualifies you to edit the wiki. If you're not sure on any particular point then ask on here, the IRC, or the ML.

There's no 'pro-user' or 'highly skilled' group in Arch, just the community which works together on it.

Board footer