You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-01 11:55:28

Cotton

[Solved] File "Save As" takes more than 20s before dialogue box opens

Whenever I use File "Save As" in any non-kde application (eg firefox, medit, kino), the dialogue box opens immediately but then takes more than 20 seconds to display the contents of the initial directory, after which I can then save the file. Alternative directories can then be selected instantly without problem.  Starting File Save As again, causes the same long delay, so its not a caching issue.  This occurs in XFCE4, LXDE & KDE.
KDE apps, however, list the contents virtually immediately, indicating that its not a disk or filing system problem.
The XFCE4 theme (under Appearance > Style)  is Foresight, and the icon theme is Nuvola.  Changing these does not make any apparent difference.

This is on a SATA drive with 84 GB free running Arch 64.

Can anyone suggest how this can be rectified?

Last edited by Cotton (2010-01-01 19:19:12)

#2 2010-01-01 17:35:50

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] File "Save As" takes more than 20s before dialogue box opens

I'm betting that somewhere in the ~/.gtk-bookmarks file, you have a removable device listed such as an I-Pod. If you really don't need that file, move or remove it. If you need that file for some app, go through it and find whatever device(s) that it's looking for and delete those lines.

#3 2010-01-01 19:17:25

Cotton

Re: [Solved] File "Save As" takes more than 20s before dialogue box opens

Many thanks for that - problem solved. 

The file contained 323 lines pointing to a single directory with multiple subdirectories, none of which was a removable device.
Moving the file to another location, resulted in the File Save As operation functioning properly.

Not sure if I actually use gtk-bookmarks as it hadn't been modified in over 6 months.

Anyway, thanks again - its made a big difference.

Board footer