You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-02 04:42:05

kaddy

screen goes black when shutdown

hey archers....
im having issues when I try to shut my computer down

almost everytime.... the screen goes black and nothing happens....
forcing me to do a hard shutdown...... although, when i shutdown in a konsole via "halt" command,
it shutsdown just fine......

this sorta tells me it could be an nvidia driver issue.... but..... i didn't have this problem before...
it happened all of a sudden.... and I havn't done any upgrades.... its a fresh installation of arch

any ideas?

#2 2010-01-02 04:59:35

kaddy

Re: screen goes black when shutdown

actually.... it might be related to my framebuffer......... i'll have to play with it a while and i'll post back if I find the solution......

I also found this http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … ot-476490/

will post back.....

#3 2010-01-02 05:33:24

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps your problem is related to KMS...Kernel Mode Setting which in the latest kernel controls the display mode.

According to the archlinux news item, KMS causes problems and needs to be shut down via the boot prompt by adding nomodeset to the kernel line.

My system went black like yours until I included nomodeset.

There is possibly no damage to the system from this anomaly unless you react by "reset" instead of waiting for the reboot or shutdown to complete "in the dark" so to speak.

Good luck.....

Last edited by lilsirecho (2010-01-02 05:54:18)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2010-01-02 05:54:14

kaddy

hhmmmmm
I just read about that too.....

although im still using the 2.6.31-ARCH kernel
not the new 2.6.32 kernel.....

however, im about to update to the latest packages, and see how things go... then try the proposed solution if the bug is still present....
will post back soon

Last edited by kaddy (2010-01-02 06:06:40)

#5 2010-01-02 07:19:00

kaddy

weird... I upgraded Arch to the latest packages... and my problem with shutdown has disappeared.... it works now....
But I still see others with the same problem that I had with the new packages............

so far all is good for me... hopefully it stays that way.... I even have my Vga framebuffer set in my kernel and everything works fine....
I'll give it some time before marking this thread solved.... maybe it will stuff up... who knows... haha

Board footer