You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-01 01:31:02

banshee28

Setting up raid0 and 2 drives

Having a problem completing the raid setup with my 2 80GB drives. I followed the wiki perfectly from what I can tell. When I run LVDISPLAY
It shows

LV Name /dev/array/root
VG Name array
LV Status available
LV Size 50GB

PVDISPLAY shows

PV Name /dev/md0
VG name array
PV Size 148GB

VGDISPLAY shows

VG Name array
format lvm2
VG SIze 148GB

everything appears to be in order. When I try to install, Arch sees the 2 physical drives sda and sdb.?

Is this normal, and if so I cant seem to get the installer to setup the raid properly??

I setup the partitions as 100MB /boot, 50GB root, and I want to make the rest for /home...

Can anyone help sad

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#2 2010-01-01 05:06:53

saharchie

Re: Setting up raid0 and 2 drives

banshee28 wrote:

When I try to install, Arch sees the 2 physical drives sda and sdb.?

hmm ... sometimes i have to reboot after partitioning before the installer sees the voodoo i did...

did you use FS Type FD (Linux raid autodetect) when partitioning ?

when you get to the part of the install when you manually specify the mount points you should see everything, e.g.

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda5
/dev/sda6
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb5
/dev/sdb6
/dev/md0
/dev/md1
/dev/md2
/dev/array/root
/dev/array/home
/dev/array/swap

or for fake raid something like ...

/dev/mapper/nvidia_blah1337r4id

regardless, if the arch installer only sees /dev/sda & /dev/sdb then unfortunately you have to double check all the prep work that's needed before even running /arch/setup

HTH --- cool

#3 2010-01-01 16:16:28

banshee28

saharchie wrote:

hmm ... sometimes i have to reboot after partitioning before the installer sees the voodoo i did...

I just rebooted and now

lvdisplay pvdisplay and vgdisplay

all do not show anything!

did you use FS Type FD (Linux raid autodetect) when partitioning ?

Yes, I choose the fd type for all partitions.

when you get to the part of the install when you manually specify the mount points you should see everything, e.g.

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda5
/dev/sda6
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb5
/dev/sdb6
/dev/md0
/dev/md1
/dev/md2
/dev/array/root
/dev/array/home
/dev/array/swap

or for fake raid something like ...

/dev/mapper/nvidia_blah1337r4id

regardless, if the arch installer only sees /dev/sda & /dev/sdb then unfortunately you have to double check all the prep work that's needed before even running /arch/setup

HTH --- cool

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#4 2010-01-01 16:20:29

banshee28

Also according to the wiki, they setup a raid1 for /boot and /swp, and raid 5 for /. I want to setup raid 1 for boot and raid 0 for / and /home. I did not see where the /home partition or drive was setup? This type of raid setup is new to me, so I am sure I am missing something... hmm

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#5 2010-01-02 05:17:18

saharchie

This is generally what I do when I'm setting up my raid stuffs...after booting off of core install ... because I want to load packages from the cd/disk img or maybe I'm networkless for whatever reason.

1.  Configure the individual drives /dev/sd{a,b,c,d...} with 'cfdisk' (however you want) 
    (gotcha:  don't forget to do the math...i.e. "if I want a 100MB RAID10 /boot and I have 4 drives, then ...."  it's comical to wind up with a 10GB /boot or something lol)

2.  Reboot & confirm drives have been chopped up how I wanted/intended.

3.  Check/Load kernel & raid modules/apps & configure raids --RAID0 you say?

# mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdb5

3.  Create any desired LVMs & PVMs.

4.  /arch/install

It is very important to note that if, for whatever reason, you reboot BEFORE the install has actually finished, you will need to manually reload kernel modules, install mdadm (and anything else you need) and re-create/re-assemble any RAID/LVM partitions before running /arch/install again. 

After you do it a few times it becomes a breeze I promise ... i credit the wikis cool

#6 2010-01-02 14:04:56

banshee28

Thanks saharchie, I think I might give it another try... cool

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

Board footer