You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-17 13:00:00

ganja_guru

gdmproblem

i wanted to install bootsplash and so did a
pacman -S bootsplash

after installation it suggested that i download initscripts-bootsplash and did that too..however it replaced my rc.conf, rc.sysinit and some others...i messed up somewhere and uninstalled them cause i had lost my config settings , but i had a un usable system...
anyway i booted into windows, popped in the arch cd, extracted initscripts.pkg.tar.gz and copied them over to my root's /etc/ folder using Mepis Linux..

anyway i guess ive got everything back on track now,,,,BUT gdm doesnt work anymore..when my computer tries to load gdm i just get the nvidia screen flashing a couple of times and ...poof..back to the console login prompt..my guess is something wrong in my config file, prob rc.sysinit...any help is greatly ppreciated..or can you post a working config file? cause i guess arch setup modifies config files during setup..and i just have the extracted config files from the installer cd..

Thanks!

#2 2005-02-17 15:03:21

lucke

Re: gdmproblem

If you haven't tweaked your files somehow, I'd just try

rm /etc/rc.* /etc/inittab
pacman -S initscripts

to get the totally genuine initscripts.

Remember to tweak the inittab afterwards, if you're running gdm using it, not rc.d script. For completeness, you could also try reinstalling nvidia drivers (pacman -S nvidia in runlevel 3) and looking into your xorg config.

Well, this problem seems somewhat mysterious, but sometimes the solution, which doesn't seem to be connected directly with the problem actually works :-)

#3 2005-02-17 18:47:06

ganja_guru

Re: gdmproblem

tried it..didnt work..xdm/kdm work fine...only gdm gives a problem

i tried

pacman -Rs gdm

Pacman -S gdm

didnt help  sad

Board footer