You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-18 02:34:35

Mark_E_Wallace

How to get keyboard back?

I just glitched something on my Arch box that is probably easy to fix. Hoping y'all can help.

I was getting the "can't load module shpchp. Missing kernel or user mode driver shpchp" error that I've seen others here post about.  To get rid of it, I (probably making a mistake) commented out (with a !) the loading of the hotplug module in rc.conf.

After I rebooted, I lost my keyboard. Well, it's still here in front of me; it's just not accepting input. I have rc.conf set to load kdm as the last daemon, and when it boots into kdm I can't enter any characters in for my password.

Is there a simple fix for this? Some sort of way to override the !hotplug  in rc.conf when I boot up?

Thanks,

Mark

Cheers,

Mark

#2 2005-02-18 02:58:35

Mith

Re: How to get keyboard back?

hey,
well my guess is the following. your keyboard is USB and since you disabled hotplug the usb modules aren't loaded..

however you did the whole thing wrong anyway  :twisted: *gg* to solve your problem with the missing module ( shpchp in your case ) you don't have to disable hotplug but write in its blacklist file

/etc/hotplug/blacklist

just add the module name in there and I hope that solves your problem. Remember to remove the "!" in your rc.conf so hotplug is loaded again

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#3 2005-02-18 03:19:27

Mark_E_Wallace

Mith wrote:

hey,
well my guess is the following. your keyboard is USB and since you disabled hotplug the usb modules aren't loaded..

however you did the whole thing wrong anyway  :twisted: *gg* to solve your problem with the missing module ( shpchp in your case ) you don't have to disable hotplug but write in its blacklist file

/etc/hotplug/blacklist

just add the module name in there and I hope that solves your problem. Remember to remove the "!" in your rc.conf so hotplug is loaded again

<newbie mode>Without access to my keyboard, how can I remove the "!" in my rc.conf?</newbie mode>

I'm sure that'll fix the problem, but I need to know how to boot the system so that it ignores the fact that I commented out hotplug. And, yep, you're right; it's a USB keyboard.

Cheers,

Mark

#4 2005-02-18 05:13:45

Mith

ouch that's a top one! how to fix stuff in a text file without a keyboard. quite honestly I don't think that's possible so your best bet is to a) get a ps2 keyboard or b) get a live cd, boot into it, mount your arch partition into a folder, edit your rc.conf smile
as for the live cd's I am sure knoppix or some derivat of it will work, I am not sure if the arch installation disk works just b/c I don't know if .. actually I don't see a reason why the arch install cd shouldn't work. so try that one smile
simple outline
* boot the live cd
* create a folder in f.e. /mnt/ ( or wherever it's the folder that counts not where it is )
* mount /dev/discs/discY/partX ( X for whatever partition it's on; Y for first or second harddisk ( 1 for primary hard drive, 2 for second etc... )
* go into your folder where arch is mounted
* go into the /etc folder and edit rc.conf

I really hope this works for you : ) but maybe you just have a second computer with another keyboard and all my typing above is useless *g*

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#5 2005-02-18 05:35:22

Mark_E_Wallace

Yep. That worked. I was able to use the Arch Live CD to boot up and follow your steps. What a relief to have the Linux side of the box back.

Now to go fix this shpchp problem the right way. That pause when it fails to load the module at boot is a real distraction.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Mark

#6 2005-02-18 15:50:55

Mark_E_Wallace

Mark_E_Wallace wrote:

Yep. That worked. I was able to use the Arch Live CD to boot up and follow your steps. What a relief to have the Linux side of the box back.

Now to go fix this shpchp problem the right way. That pause when it fails to load the module at boot is a real distraction.

Many thanks!

Done deal. Adding the shpchp to blacklist worked.

Thanks all!

Cheers,

Mark

#7 2005-02-19 06:29:58

xerxes2
Website

I think it's better to load the modules in the modules array in /etc/rc.conf instead of running hotlug on boot,

just check "dmesg |grep USB" for your usb modules,
it should be something like uhci_hcd and ehci_hcd or ohci_hcd ,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

Board footer