You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 00:51:54

rubix

[SOLVED]File system errors after every reboot

Hey everyone, I recently started having the follow problem.

When booting up arch, I get an error that 2 of my partitions have errors. I googled the problem and found a solution.
the two partitions are /dev/sdb6 and /dev/sdb7, im not sure what they are exactly(and im not sure how to check, im not sure if its even important), but they're either /, /home, or /var.
anyway I do

e2fsck -p /dev/sdb6
e2fsck -p /dev/sdb7
reboot

This fixes the problem and it says those partitions are clean on boot up. This happened a couple days ago, which is when I googled and found out the solution above.

However, today it happened again. Only this time after i repeat the above and boot into arch(at this point it does say clean for both partitions), and then reboot, it does the exact same thing(says both partitions have fs errors). The same solution works, but only until another reboot, at which point it repeats again.

The only thing significant I did today was a
pacman -Syu -- but that didn't do anything that I would think would cause this, only installed 3 things, I recently did pacman -Syu like ~1-2 days ago.
mpd --create-db

I say both of these are significant because these are the exact 2 commands i used when this error happened before(where the solution above fixed it, until today).

I'm really not sure how to begin finding out what could cause the problem, So if anyone could help I'd be grateful smile

P.S. I disabled the mpd daemon in /etc/rc.conf, but the error still occurs.

Last edited by rubix (2010-01-05 06:19:23)

#2 2010-01-05 01:45:05

davidm

Re: [SOLVED]File system errors after every reboot

What is the error message you are getting?  Just grasping at straws here....is it something like "filesystem date is in the future" ?

#3 2010-01-05 02:16:03

rubix

davidm wrote:

What is the error message you are getting?  Just grasping at straws here....is it something like "filesystem date is in the future" ?

yes tongue. Just rebooted to get the full error and here it is:

/dev/sdb6: superblock last write timeMon Jan 4 18:03:06 2010, now = Mon Jan 4 10:03:35 2010 is in the future
/dev/sdb7: same thing that is says for sdb6

Filesystem check failed

please repair manually and reboot. Note that the root file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write type: mount -n -o remount,rw /
When you exit the maintenance shell the system will reboot automatically.

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

If i do press ctrl+d, the system reboots and forces a check on sdb6 and sdb7 saying they have errors. However after these are done it says that
sdb6 is 5.2% non-contiguous
and sdb7 is 09%

But then it boots fine.

Last edited by rubix (2010-01-05 02:16:39)

#4 2010-01-05 02:23:28

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Make your /etc/rc.conf say:

HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"

That should prevent this from happening.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#5 2010-01-05 03:15:59

rubix

graysky wrote:

Make your /etc/rc.conf say:

HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"

That should prevent this from happening.

My /etc/rc.conf already had this:
HARDWARECLOCK="local"

would it matter if its "local" instead of "localtime"?

Also, since you think it's a clock issue, I suppose its worth mentioning that I also recently installed and configured openntpd(because for some reason my clock suddenly turned the wrong time, now that i use openntpd however the clock is right), could this be causing the issue?

I'm going to go try putting "localtime", if that doesn't work i'll try disabling the openntpd daemon and rebooting. I'll report back here.

#6 2010-01-05 03:25:00

rubix

Well, changing "local" to "localtime" did the trick big_smile. Thanks for the help.

Not sure why it would suddenly start acting up, haven't edited my rc.conf except to add openntpd and mpd to the daemons array. But I'm glad that seems to have resolved the problem.

Board footer