You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 13:37:38

alphazo

[iwl] Wired to Wireless issue since 2.6.32

I have a Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG that has been running fine until 2.6.32. I use wicd and its gui client under xfce with the following rc.conf

ROUTES=(!gateway)
INTERFACES=(!eth0 !wlan0)
DAEMONS=(@syslog-ng !network hal @wicd !netfs @crond @alsa @powernowd @cups)

If I boot the system without the Ethernet cable I get authenticated to the wireless AP and get my IP address in a flash. Now if I connect the Ethernet cable I get disconnected from the WLAN (which is what I want) and get a new IP address on the Ethernet LAN. Now this is where the problem occurs. If I disconnect the Ethernet cable I can no longer authenticate nor get an IP address from my access point. The only workaround I found (beside rebooting) is to go over the following steps:

sudo /etc/rc.d/wicd stop
sudo rmmod iwlagn
sudo rmmod iwlcore
sudo mopdprobe iwlcore
sudo mopdprobe iwlagn
sudo /etc/rc.d/wicd start

A friend of mine is experiencing the exact problem on a different laptop (but same wifi module). Has anyone experienced such issue?

Thanks
Alphazo

[EDIT]  I noticed that I have the same issue when switching from Wireless to Wired. This time I had to do:

sudo /etc/rc.d/wicd stop
sudo rmmod tg3
sudo modprobe tg3
sudo /etc/rc.d/wicd start

[EDIT2] I now have the problem when working exclusively on wireless networks. Let say I'm connected to "WORK-WIFI" access point at work. I put my laptop to sleep (not hibernate). When coming back, it will try to reconnect to "WORK-WIFI" rather than "HOME". Then when hitting refresh on wicd it'll show "HOME" but when trying to connect to it it will still try to connect to "WORK-WIFI". I then went through the above steps and I got connected to my network.

[EDIT3] For the wireless working after being on wired I now "just" have to do:

sudo rmmod iwlagn
sudo mopdprobe iwlagn
sudo /etc/rc.d/wicd restart

Last edited by alphazo (2010-01-12 21:23:57)

Board footer