You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-14 21:24:53

Perre

Backup software for copying disk image to backup dvd

Hi!

I'm looking for backup software that lets me create an image of the partitions of my choice and then lets me burn it to a recovery cd.
If I then get a big problem at some time I can just reboot with the recovery cd and the software will reinstall my system as it was at the
backup moment.

Anyone got any tips? I've looked into gl4 and clonezilla, but it doesn't look like those apps give me the option to create a recovery cd that
will reinstall the backup image. Or am I wrong? smile

#2 2009-02-14 21:37:25

Ranguvar

Re: Backup software for copying disk image to backup dvd

Who needs a specific recovery CD? Make an image, stick it somewhere (even on the CD), and use a LiveCD to restore (SystemRescueCd comes with PartImage and FSArchiver).

#3 2009-02-15 04:28:54

dschrute

g4l won't directly give you an option to create a "recovery cd", but it can create an image on disk that can be burned to cd/dvd.

The procedure would be something like :
Boot g4l, dump image to disk.  Burn image to cd ( or more likely dvd because of size ).  In the event of needing to restore from the image, boot g4l, mount cd/dvd, choose the cd/dvd as source for image, restore from image.

I haven't used clonezilla, but I'd imagine the same can be done with that.  The biggest issue i see is getting the image to fit on a dvd, depending on how much data you have to start with.  But that may be an issue no matter what you use to backup.

#4 2010-01-05 15:06:41

orphius1970

clonezilla will allow you to make a recovery cd. You make an image of your partitions/drive to say another drive, then you use clonezilla to make an iso from that backup and burn it. Works perfectly, I use it all the time myself.

http://www.clonezilla.org/

Last edited by orphius1970 (2010-01-05 15:07:58)

AMD Phenomx3, 4gb ram, Nvidia Gforce 9400gt,
MSI K9N2 Diamond Motherboard, Arch x86_64

#5 2010-01-05 16:40:46

lagagnon
Website

"System Resuce CD"  http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page has "fsarchiver" which will suit your needs I believe.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer