You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 18:12:43

Mad Fish

What do you like/dislike about your current DE setup?

The main point of this thread is to know good/bad sides of DEs and specific configurations.

Let me start from myself. I'm currently running GNOME on a netbook (weak hardware).
Pros:
* Appearance. Ubuntu Human theme is really polished thing.
* Evince and gedit are really good.
Cons:
* Nautilus as file manager is a total crap. Very slow, and have huge usability problems. For example, this one. It hasn't been fixed for eight years!
* Battery indicator is not doing it's job for me. It doesn't react to unplugging AC power. I don't even know what is that.
* Window positions are not remembered (both Metacity and Compiz).
* Can't rearrange icons in tray.
* (Compiz) No previews available for windows, when they are minimized.

I'm currently investigating minimalist configurations (Openbox, Awesome, etc.), and KDE. At least, KDE's Dolphin is thousands times better than Nautilus (IMHO).

#2 2010-01-05 18:25:49

Cyrusm

Re: What do you like/dislike about your current DE setup?

I'm currently using Xmonad.  IMO there are too many pros to list.  The only con I can think of is sometimes
I have difficulty getting certain windows floating the way I want them to.

as far as DE's go, I try to stay away from them much for the same reasons you have listed (I'm not happy with feature X and want feature Y etc.)
I'd say try out some of the lighter weight WM's until you find something you like.  and then add on any features that you want to use
(a minimalistic WM doesn't necessarily have to be minimalistic, it just means you have the ability add on the features you need without dealing with features you don't.)

p.s.  this thread might be happier in Off-Topic or GNU/Linux discussion...

Last edited by Cyrusm (2010-01-05 18:27:58)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Board footer