You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 17:28:52

skanky

Disable The Monitor - Completely

Hello, I've got a laptop with a failed on board graphics card that I'm looking to set up as a home server (printer, file and process), as it'll cost too much to replace the motherboard. One of the things I want to do is keep power consumption down to a minimum, and as I'm not ever expecting to use the monitor (I'll set the hard disk up via another laptop and then just use SSH from then on), I'd like to disable it completely - that is make sure there is no power being sent to it, at all.

Is this possible to do in the set-up, or am I best to go in and pull a few wires out (which I'd rather not do if I can help it - one day down the line it might be worth replacing the motherboard).

I've done a search, but couldn't find anything definitive.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#2 2010-01-05 18:02:33

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Disable The Monitor - Completely

you can use xrandr for this:

# xrandr --help

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2010-01-05 20:38:42

ijanos

Try this

xset dpms force off

read this for further info: http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html

#4 2010-01-05 22:48:54

skanky

Many thanks for both replies. I'll try and avoid installing xrandr for now as it won't be used for anything else (I think), but it's an option.

The xset looks most promising, but will it be supported by a fried video card?
I guess there's only one way to know for sure. I'll post back the results when I've done the testing.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

Board footer