You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-04 10:50:16

ulukai

[SOLVED] KDE's Plasma doesn't take GTK theme

I use the latest stable KDE 4.3.4 on my desktop machine and am trying to achieve a uniform look between my QT and GTK apps. QTcurve is nice and renders 90% correct, but still not all the apps take it like I would want them to. For example: tabs in GIMP and Firefox don't have hover effects etc.

Anyway, on gnome I always like Shiki-Brave GTK theme (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … tent=86717) + window border and also QT apps look stunning with the theme imho. So I set this as my GTK theme and chose GTK+ as my QT theme. All QT apps take it as it should, but when right-clicking apps in the task manager or icons in the panels, I see that the menus don't take the GTK colors and widgets. Also when clicking the plasma icon in the right corner and choosing Desktop Settings give me a window with other GTK-like widgets but they don't fit in with my Shiki theme at all.

For a test I also tried other GTK themes, even based on other GTK engines like Murrine, but they all give the same problem. Rebooting doesn't help either.

Hopefully the problem is clear, if not I can provide screenshots (tonight, I'm at work now wink). Please feel free to test it on your own machine, it doesn't break anything. Maybe it is solved in KDE 4.4 (beta) or with QT 4.6 but I'm not sure about that...

Last edited by ulukai (2010-01-06 09:38:42)

#2 2010-01-04 12:43:40

Rasi
Website

Re: [SOLVED] KDE's Plasma doesn't take GTK theme

ulukai wrote:

I use the latest stable KDE 4.3.4 on my desktop machine and am trying to achieve a uniform look between my QT and GTK apps. QTcurve is nice and renders 90% correct, but still not all the apps take it like I would want them to. For example: tabs in GIMP and Firefox don't have hover effects etc.

Anyway, on gnome I always like Shiki-Brave GTK theme (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … tent=86717) + window border and also QT apps look stunning with the theme imho. So I set this as my GTK theme and chose GTK+ as my QT theme. All QT apps take it as it should, but when right-clicking apps in the task manager or icons in the panels, I see that the menus don't take the GTK colors and widgets. Also when clicking the plasma icon in the right corner and choosing Desktop Settings give me a window with other GTK-like widgets but they don't fit in with my Shiki theme at all.

For a test I also tried other GTK themes, even based on other GTK engines like Murrine, but they all give the same problem. Rebooting doesn't help either.

Hopefully the problem is clear, if not I can provide screenshots (tonight, I'm at work now wink). Please feel free to test it on your own machine, it doesn't break anything. Maybe it is solved in KDE 4.4 (beta) or with QT 4.6 but I'm not sure about that...

who said plasma uses your qt theme? because it does not and never will. you have to create your own plasma theme to match your qt/gtk one.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2010-01-04 13:05:35

ulukai

I know plasma has its own themes and I don't intend to change the color of the panel or desktop widgets. It's mainly right-clicking any content of the panels that causes inconsistent use of colors and theme widgets.

Allow me to explain:
- When using default KDE style Oxygen and I richt-click an application launcher in the panel, it gives me a grey menu with deeper grey on the hovered items, just like when you open up dolphin and click on "file" in the menubar.
- When using QTcurve and I richt-click an application launcher in the panel, it also gives me the same look and colors as used in the "file" menu of dolphin or any other application.
- But when using a GTK+ theme for QT, right-clicking a panel item gives an ugly default grey-blueish menu, not in line with the GTK theme. It gives the same menu for any GTK theme. Also when clicking the plasma icon in the top right corner of the desktop and choosing "desktop settings" (the place where to change the plasma theme) it uses other widgets to build the window.

#4 2010-01-05 05:42:57

agihr

Try installing gtk-qt-engine and set the gtk2 theme in KDEs System Settings. Then logout and login.

#5 2010-01-05 08:39:30

ulukai

agihr wrote:

Try installing gtk-qt-engine and set the gtk2 theme in KDEs System Settings. Then logout and login.

I use GTK-KDE4, which also gives me a module in KDEs System Settings. It does essentially the same: I can use choose which GTK theme to use in GTK applications AND also my QT apps (virtualbox, dolphin, ktorrent etc) use this theme and look just the same as my GTK apps, which is the way I want it to be.

But the REAL PROBLEM is that some settings windows don't take over the look and neither does the right-click menu of the bottom panel / task manager etc... To me it seems that everything what's related to plasma doesn't want to take the GTK look.

Since many people don't seem to understand I will provide some screenshots tonight, they tell more than 1000 words smile

#6 2010-01-05 09:00:53

agihr

With gtk-kde4 I have the same problem. With gtk-qt-engine it works.

#7 2010-01-05 09:22:20

ulukai

agihr wrote:

With gtk-kde4 I have the same problem. With gtk-qt-engine it works.

Ow my bad, that's bizar hmm

I'll try tonight. Thanks a ton!

#8 2010-01-06 09:38:27

ulukai

Gtk-qt-engine did it indeed. Thanks for the tip!

Problem solved!

Board footer