You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 15:27:03

scottuss

USB Install

OK, so I installed Arch onto my 4gb USB Stick, as per usual procedures (I also read through the "Installing Arch Linux on a USB Key" wiki article.

The problem is that everything worked fine, then I did some updates, which seem to have broken the installation. I suspected a kernel upgrade had done it, so I followed through the guide to run mkinitcpio with the USB hook (I forgot to do it on first install, I fixed this and it worked OK) but now I'm back to not being able to boot, with mkinitcpio not fixing anything.

I have an Arch CD that I can boot from, so, any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!

#2 2010-01-06 15:45:17

JuseBox

Re: USB Install

scottuss wrote:

OK, so I installed Arch onto my 4gb USB Stick, as per usual procedures (I also read through the "Installing Arch Linux on a USB Key" wiki article.

The problem is that everything worked fine, then I did some updates, which seem to have broken the installation. I suspected a kernel upgrade had done it, so I followed through the guide to run mkinitcpio with the USB hook (I forgot to do it on first install, I fixed this and it worked OK) but now I'm back to not being able to boot, with mkinitcpio not fixing anything.

Have you tried to roll back the "updates" you installed?

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

#3 2010-01-06 15:55:51

scottuss

JuseBox wrote:
scottuss wrote:

No, but I'd like to run with the versions of packages I have installed now if possible. I suppose going backwards is worth a try, but I will want to update at some point!

Thanks for your reply! big_smile

#4 2010-01-06 15:57:37

JuseBox

scottuss wrote:
JuseBox wrote:
scottuss wrote:

No, but I'd like to run with the versions of packages I have installed now if possible. I suppose going backwards is worth a try, but I will want to update at some point!

The thing is if you can get it to work by rolling back then you know there is an issue with a package... Then i would install packages one by one until you find the package that broke your install.  Then you can report a bug report or try to find a fix narrowing it to one package

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

#5 2010-01-06 15:59:43

scottuss

JuseBox wrote:
scottuss wrote:
JuseBox wrote:

The thing is if you can get it to work by rolling back then you know there is an issue with a package... Then i would install packages one by one until you find the package that broke your install.  Then you can report a bug report or try to find a fix narrowing it to one package

I'll probably go through that later then when I get some free time. Thanks for the help!

#6 2010-01-06 16:00:29

grey

From what I've heard, installing arch (or any linux system) on a usb stick in the same way you install on a regular disk isn't recommended, because of (a) poor write speeds and (b) limited lifespan of the stick due to the large number of read / writes. That's why most distributions implement persistent installations on a USB stick with temporary file systems residing in RAM, which are written only at synchronization points.

For Arch this is done by larch (http://larch.berlios.de).

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#7 2010-01-06 16:03:16

scottuss

grey wrote:

From what I've heard, installing arch (or any linux system) on a usb stick in the same way you install on a regular disk isn't recommended, because of (a) poor write speeds and (b) limited lifespan of the stick due to the large number of read / writes. That's why most distributions implement persistent installations on a USB stick with temporary file systems residing in RAM, which are written only at synchronization points.

For Arch this is done by larch (http://larch.berlios.de).

Thanks, I kinda already knew that (I've been booting Ubuntu from a USB stick for a few years)

I really wanted a "proper" install, by all accounts it is possible, if not recommended.

Board footer