You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 16:51:53

robrene

GTK fonts when using Openbox

Hello all

I am using Openbox now after being a long time Gnome user, and so far I'm enjoying it. However, I'd like to get my font settings back to the way I had them, because I really liked them that way. For reference, here is a screenshot of the gnome font selector that I found through Google.

As you can see it gives 5 different font types to choose.
Application font is what I set through lxappearance
Desktop font is irrelevant since I don't use nautilus to draw the desktop for me
Window title font is whats used for metacity, again not relevant for me
Fixed width font I don't need, since I set my font in urxvt through .Xdefaults now.

However, how do I set the Document font now? I know pidgin uses it to show the text in conversation windows for example. Where can I set this font now?

smile neutral sad big_smile yikes wink hmm tongue lol mad roll cool

#2 2010-01-06 17:23:09

JuseBox

Re: GTK fonts when using Openbox

robrene wrote:

Hello all

I am using Openbox now after being a long time Gnome user, and so far I'm enjoying it. However, I'd like to get my font settings back to the way I had them, because I really liked them that way. For reference, here is a screenshot of the gnome font selector that I found through Google.

As you can see it gives 5 different font types to choose.
Application font is what I set through lxappearance
Desktop font is irrelevant since I don't use nautilus to draw the desktop for me
Window title font is whats used for metacity, again not relevant for me
Fixed width font I don't need, since I set my font in urxvt through .Xdefaults now.

However, how do I set the Document font now? I know pidgin uses it to show the text in conversation windows for example. Where can I set this font now?

obconf

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

#3 2010-01-06 17:54:13

anonymous_user

With Openbox you use obconf to change the the Window title font (and Openbox menu font). And the "Application font" is changed using lxappearance or just modifying the .gtkrc-2.0 file.

All other fonts are settings within the specific application. I know Pidgin has settings to set the font for the conversation.

#4 2010-01-06 18:00:14

robrene

obconf is not the answer to my problem, as it doesn't have an option to set the GTK Document font. I found a plugin that changes the fonts in pidgin, but I'd rather have a solution for all GTK applications.

#5 2010-01-06 18:06:07

anonymous_user

I don't think Openbox has such an option.

lxappearance changes the menu/items fonts for applications, but text editors for example have their own font settings for displaying text.

#6 2010-01-06 18:06:57

Oxyd

[starlight] ~ > cat .gtkrc-2.0
# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/home/oxyd/.themes/New Wave/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font" {
        font_name = "DejaVu Sans 9"
}

widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-font-name="DejaVu Sans 9"

include "/home/oxyd/.gtkrc.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT

This was generated by gtk-chtheme.  All fonts are DejaVu Sans, including all fonts in Pidgin, and just about everywhere I know, except when the application overrides the font.

#7 2010-01-06 18:14:17

robrene

It's obvious that what I'm looking for won't be handled by Openbox, because I'm asking how to change a GTK setting. It's going to need a configuration file of some sort. I guessed it would have to be something in gtkrc, it seems applying a style that sets font_name to all widgets was what I needed, because gtk-font-name is what sets the Application font.

#8 2010-01-06 18:45:50

Roline
Website

You could change the gktrc in ~/.themes/THEMENAME/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

Bitbucket - DeviantART - Userstyles
*Currently Not Using Arch

Board footer