You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 19:17:46

tuxrux

Arch with X & DE pre-installed?

Hey there,
I'm new with arch but have a year and half experience with ubuntu.
I've read the wiki & really liked The Arch Way.
Well, I would like to know if there is a version or edition or something of arch with any X & DE pre-installed on it (like gnome etc) because We are using 128 kbps DSL linx here, in IRAN, so i can't install gnome on every workstation or installation from the repo.s .
Any ideas?

#2 2010-01-05 19:29:58

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch with X & DE pre-installed?

You'd have to download the packages anyways. It's probably better to get them piecewise rather than all at once. IIRC, pacman can take up where it left off. Another option is to get someone to mail the packages on a CD to you.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-01-05 19:39:40

tuxrux

fsckd wrote:

You'd have to download the packages anyways. It's probably better to get them piecewise rather than all at once. IIRC, pacman can take up where it left off. Another option is to get someone to mail the packages on a CD to you.

Hmmmm... Thank you for the Reply. smile

#4 2010-01-05 19:45:45

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

You might want to look at the Chakra project as well.

#5 2010-01-05 19:56:20

tuxrux

Misfit138 wrote:

You might want to look at the Chakra project as well.

WOW!
That's exactly what i'm looking for.
Thank you so much.

#6 2010-01-05 21:11:43

JamesHaigh

tuxrux wrote:

...We are using 128 kbps DSL linx here, in IRAN, so i can't install gnome on every workstation or installation from the repo.s .
Any ideas?

Is this useful?:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Imp … r_your_LAN
(Improve_Pacman_Performance#Sharing_packages_over_your_LAN)

James.

#7 2010-01-06 07:20:39

tuxrux

JamesHaigh wrote:
tuxrux wrote:

...We are using 128 kbps DSL linx here, in IRAN, so i can't install gnome on every workstation or installation from the repo.s .
Any ideas?

Is this useful?:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Imp … r_your_LAN
(Improve_Pacman_Performance#Sharing_packages_over_your_LAN)

James.

That's a good solution but i was thinking of configing & installing needed packages then make my own Arch CD or at least make a local repo. on a CD like APTONCD,
Any ideas how to do that?

#8 2010-01-06 07:38:53

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Loc … ory_HOW-TO should be pretty interesting to you.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#9 2010-01-06 09:41:11

SoleSoul

You can always simply download the packages once, burn them on a cd, then copy them to whatever station you have and install with pacman -U.
Anyway, if the Chakra project fits your needs go for it.

#10 2010-01-06 09:47:43

sHyLoCk

Yeah but how is he going to keep his system updated? He needs to repeat this entire process of downloading packages and pushing them to local repo and then upgrading. Don't get me wrong here, but I think what he needs is something like Slackware which will give a stable release now and then and also he can make it as minimal and tweak as much as he wants. But if he uses Arch which has a rolling release cycle then he has to often update his system. So tuxrux, if you're ok with that, then go for it. Arch rox! You'll have a lot of fun. ;-)

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2010-01-06 09:48:41)

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#11 2010-01-06 13:00:07

tuxrux

Zeist wrote:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Loc … ory_HOW-TO should be pretty interesting to you.

It is, But it doesn't fit my needs. thank you anyway smile

SoleSoul wrote:

You can always simply download the packages once, burn them on a cd, then copy them to whatever station you have and install with pacman -U.
Anyway, if the Chakra project fits your needs go for it.

I prefer to wait for it to get Final Release, I just don't have good expriences with Alpha releases.

sHyLoCk wrote:

Yeah but how is he going to keep his system updated? He needs to repeat this entire process of downloading packages and pushing them to local repo and then upgrading. Don't get me wrong here, but I think what he needs is something like Slackware which will give a stable release now and then and also he can make it as minimal and tweak as much as he wants. But if he uses Arch which has a rolling release cycle then he has to often update his system. So tuxrux, if you're ok with that, then go for it. Arch rox! You'll have a lot of fun. ;-)

I'm ok with that but not my clients big_smile they are non-geex. Just tell them to right click on the desktop & they panic!
So i think i should keep the pleasure of using Arch for myself & let them use what they're using until we have good infrastructure in IRAN for Real High Speed Linx (But i don't think it happens as long as we have IT minister that says: I'm sure 64 kbps is more than enough for every one!!!!!!!!!)
Thanks everyone for your replies,
Honestly, There are almost no communities that Reply kindly to Iranians smile.

#12 2010-01-06 14:58:29

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

tuxrux wrote:

I prefer to wait for {chakra} to get Final Release, I just don't have good expriences with Alpha releases.

You may be waiting a long time..iirc, Chakra has been in Alpha status for a year or so. Most people report that the Alpha works just fine. I personally downloaded and tried Chakra at the 4th alpha release and it worked flawlessly.

#13 2010-01-06 15:11:41

tuxrux

Misfit138 wrote:
tuxrux wrote:

I prefer to wait for {chakra} to get Final Release, I just don't have good expriences with Alpha releases.

You may be waiting a long time..iirc, Chakra has been in Alpha status for a year or so. Most people report that the Alpha works just fine. I personally downloaded and tried Chakra at the 4th alpha release and it worked flawlessly.

Downloading Chakra big_smile
Thank you.

#14 2010-01-06 23:02:24

SoleSoul

[totally off topic, forgive me]

Honestly, There are almost no communities that Reply kindly to Iranians .

Wow, this is one big true sad sentence.
As you can see I'm from Israel and I couldn't care less where the man who chats with me lives.
I think any reasonable person can understand this.
(more in PM)

[/totally off topic, forgive me]

#15 2010-01-07 01:48:43

hitest

I'm a long-time Slackware, FreeBSD user and a new Arch user.  I love the Arch installation system; pacman is an amazing package manager.  I am amazed at how lean and fast my Arch box is.

hitest
Arch, Slackware
Registered Linux User #284243

Board footer