You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-03 03:21:19

highchief42

Tips for a programming major

I am majoring in programming at a local tech college. The languages that I am learning are VB.net, Java, and C++. I am finished with my VB classes and have had only one C++ class without touching OO stuff. I am the guy that everyone asks for help, secondary to the few who know enough to teach the class themselves. But I digress. smile Does anyone have any tips? Maybe think I should learn some other languages, maybe C or a scripting language? All of my programming experience is in Windows maybe I should make a few Linux programs? Basically what can I do to better my programming skills?

Any tips or comments are welcome. Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum or if I rambled on I'm a little under the influence. Thank you in advance.

#2 2010-01-03 04:28:07

JohannesSM64
Website

Re: Tips for a programming major

Python

#3 2010-01-03 04:31:50

ralvez
Website

I think the answer depends on what "kind" of programming you would like to do.
For instance, if you would like to get into "web development" type of languages then I would recommend Javascript (which should not be difficult for your since you know Java) and Python since there are a number of very good frameworks based on Python.
Python is also very flexible and will allow you fast prototyping as well as the ability to do cross-platform GUI development.

If you're aiming to more "traditional" industry languages then I think you are well prepared. The "standard" for intranets is Java (I fail to see why though hmm ) and VBNet is common with Windows networks.

If you just want a language that is  very flexible, with a very elegant syntax (well I least `I think` it is elegant smile ) nice to code in and fun all around I would say explore Python for sure.

Hope this helps.

R.

p.s: I'm sure you will get a 100 different opinions on this thread ... languages are a very subjective thing

#4 2010-01-03 04:36:57

tomd123
Developer

Learn different programming paradigms. Also, don't just program by yourself, join a team or interact with others. There are other things you can do, but I leave the duty to cover them for other people smile

#5 2010-01-03 04:41:08

chpln

The best thing you can do to learn a language is to start writing code the moment you feel you have a vague understanding of the syntax.  Each time you feel stuck, try to track down some examples for reference and work it into your solution.  As long as you keep programming, you'll continue to improve.

While, admittedly, I dislike the languages listed, it's nothing more than personal preference (except in the case of VB.net tongue).  I certainly recommend becoming relatively familiar with C, shell scripting as well as one (or more) of python, ruby and perl.  Though if one of the languages you're already somewhat familiar with interests you, keep working with it!  If you're up for a challenge, take a look at a functional programming language, such as Haskell, Erlang or Clojure: they will require you to think about a problem very differently.

Depending on the depth of the classes you may or may not find programming under Linux much different, at least in terms of code.  In terms of an environment for programming, I find it very comfortable; give it a try. smile

#6 2010-01-03 14:14:32

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

http://projecteuler.net

Good for any and all* programming languages, it is a series of mathematical programming puzzles. Use the languages you already know, and you will gain depth.  Try to solve puzzles in new languages to stretch your breadth.

*Though much easier in languages with built in big ints.

#7 2010-01-03 15:34:39

csstaub

Go for something that is completely different, like a functional language (for example Haskell).

#8 2010-01-03 17:58:36

h_al

Keep advancing in C++, and then learn parallel programming design (CUDA, MPI, OpenMP, etc), or as suggested, Haskell is a nice language.

#9 2010-01-03 20:07:54

Kazuma

keenerd wrote:

http://projecteuler.net

Good for any and all* programming languages, it is a series of mathematical programming puzzles. Use the languages you already know, and you will gain depth.  Try to solve puzzles in new languages to stretch your breadth.

*Though much easier in languages with built in big ints.

That is a good site to improve skills.. I use it:D Also try http://www.javabat.com and http://uva.onlinejudge.org/ ... Javabat is easy compared to anything else listed but still good practice.

#10 2010-01-06 04:18:28

Trent

For real-world skills, it just depends on where you want them to take you.  My Java/C/Python didn't do me a scrap of good when I landed a job programming Perl.  I don't know how far advanced you are in your studies or how much you have already investigated, but I strongly recommend hitting the streets and asking potential employers rather than hobbyists like many here are.  Haskell is nice I'm sure, but it won't do you much good if you're looking for a programming job with, well, most places really.  (Not to pick on Haskell, but you get the point.)

#11 2010-01-07 04:31:06

llcawthorne

Short Answer:  I'ld go with (and am currently going with at this point) Python

We have a somewhat similar situation.  I am at a University and have taken appropriate classes in Java, VB and C++ (along with some past experience in C and Perl)...

If you want to reinforce lots of standard structured programming techniques and OOP, pickup Python.  It's both popular and fun to work with.  It's pretty handy for if you want to implement an algorithm shown in a class without worrying about the low level details also (and without having to tranlate the whole way of looking at the problem in question to a functional view).

I say if you are bored and really looking to stretch your mind, try picking up Haskell.  I mean to, but plan to do it later.

Oh, and try ProjectEuler in whatever language.  Alot of the problems require a pretty reasonable math background or being willing to do some research, but they are fun to do.

But yeah, I just spent my Christmas break working through a 1000 page Python book and the roughly 40 Euler problems that I felt able to tackle off the top of my head, and I am thinking it was well worth my time.  My OS and Algorithms class next semester both present a lot of topics in pseudocode anyway from flipping through the books, so I am hoping to do Python implementations to help the materials (both the algorithms and the freshly learned Python) sink in.

I keep wanting to mess with Haskell more (have knocked out a most of Learn You a Haskell and the first four chapters of "Real World Haskell"), but I keep reminding myself to try to focus on one big thing at a time and that summer would probably be a more appropriate time to play with it.

Last edited by llcawthorne (2010-01-07 05:18:16)

To understand recursion, you must understand recursion.

Board footer