You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-07 12:00:12

ntness

[SOLVED]Need help getting UCI engines to work with SCID Chess Database

I'm using SCID Chess Database program (version 4.1) and am having no luck getting UCI engines working (keep getting an error "Unable to start the program"). I've installed both tcl and tk via pacman but I think I also need tcl-dev and tk-dev. However, I can't find these packages anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find them or has anyone had any luck running UCI engines (Rybka and the likes) without these packages installed?

Thanks for the help-

d

UPDATE: So I ended up downloading microwine 0.8 from http://storage.sesse.net/microwine-0.8.tar.gz , extracted the files and placed the UCI engine in the extracted directory.

In the microwine directory with microwine and the engine I then issued the following command:

cat microwine enginename.exe > newfilename

I then did chmod +x newfilename in order to assure that it was executable and placed the newly created file in the /scid/engines/ directory and was able to load the engine without it terminating with an internal error.

Last edited by ntness (2010-01-10 03:00:56)

transcend to the fifth abode

#2 2010-01-07 13:23:49

voyciz

Re: [SOLVED]Need help getting UCI engines to work with SCID Chess Database

Typically "dev" packages include the header files that are left out in the original packages. Looking at the tcl package I see that it includes the header files, so that should be all you need. I'm going to assume that Arch packages don't get split up that way and there are no "dev" packages (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new here).

I suggest posting more info and any logs you have. What's a UCI engine anyway?

#3 2010-01-07 21:41:45

ntness

Re: [SOLVED]Need help getting UCI engines to work with SCID Chess Database

First, I'm using arch x86_64. UCI = Universal Chess Interface. As wiki states it's an open communication protocol which interfaces an application (SCID in this instance) with an engine (Rybka in this instnace). The error I receive when trying to start the engine is: "The analysis engine terminated without warning; it probably crashed or had an internal error." It says the same thing with any UCI engine (32 or 64 bit as well). However, SCID isn't recording any errors in the log directory so I'm really at a loss. I had the program working flawlessly under ubuntu which is why I was curious about tcl-dev and tk-dev (as these are included in aptitude but not pacman). Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks again-

d

Last edited by ntness (2010-01-07 21:52:16)

transcend to the fifth abode

Board footer