You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 15:56:26

ReaphSharc
Website

Getting a dualhead setup with my laptop and a monitor (xrandr)

I've looked at a few guides for setting up a dual head setup for my laptop with Arch. Here's what I have to work with:
* ATI Technologies Inc M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650] graphics card (using the 'radeon' xorg driver)
* Toshiba laptop LCD screen, max resolution 1600x900
* Acer x193w monitor, capable of a max resolution of 1440x900

I've tried several guides, some different things, but with xrandr I end up with this problem consistantly:

xrandr --output VGA-0 --auto --right-of LVDS

Will keep my main screen (screen 0, LVDS) with the menu's and such on my laptop (where I want it) but I have to move my mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen to move it into the monitor (screen 1, VGA-0) to the left of my laptop.

xrandr --output LVDS --auto --right-of VGA-0

With this command, the main screen (screen 0, LVDS) ends up on the monitor where I don't want it. Left to right mouse pointer does work correctly though.
Unfortunately, I can't get my main screen to stay on my laptop and screen 1 to the left of it in stead of the right.

I'm probably missing something very basic here... roll

Do you want a Bubble Icon? Feel free to submit your requests or personal creations to be included in future releases.
I'm 100% Linux!

#2 2010-01-06 16:04:36

Wittfella

Re: Getting a dualhead setup with my laptop and a monitor (xrandr)

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, but it sounds like you just need to tell it that your LCD is to the left of your laptop.  Your first example is telling xrandr its on the right.  Just use left-of instead.

xrandr --output VGA-0 --auto --left-of LVDS

Last edited by Wittfella (2010-01-06 16:05:08)

#3 2010-01-06 17:58:16

Cyrusm

Try this:

xrandr --output LVDS --primary --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --left-of LVDS --pos 0x0

If I'm not mistaken, this should result in LVDS being the primary monitor with the LCD to the left of it in all situations.
you could also add --pos 1440x0 for the LVDS output to force it's position as well, I'm not sure if it would be required in this case.

xrandr --output LVDS --primary --auto --pos 1440x0 --output VGA-0 --auto  --pos 0x0

this second one should force each monitor into position if the first option doesn't work for you.

Last edited by Cyrusm (2010-01-06 18:45:47)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#4 2010-01-07 07:27:42

ReaphSharc
Website

It does put screen 0 and 1 next to each other the way i want to, except for the fact that screen 0 (with my panels, wbar and such) ends up on the monitor (VGA-0) but I want it to stay on the laptop screen (LVDS). So it solves half of my problem...

Do you want a Bubble Icon? Feel free to submit your requests or personal creations to be included in future releases.
I'm 100% Linux!

#5 2010-01-07 12:11:33

kowalski

What WM are you using? I'm running a similiar setup using awesome and have to tell it which screen to use as primary screen.

He who says A doesn't have to say B. He can also recognize that A was false.

#6 2010-01-07 13:14:52

ReaphSharc
Website

Should have mentioned it in my first post... I'm an XFCE4 nutter big_smile

I'm 100% Linux!

#7 2010-01-07 21:01:44

anrxc
Website

screen 0 (with my panels, wbar and such) ends up on the monitor (VGA-0) but I want it to stay on the laptop screen (LVDS).

You can use the same xrandr to specifically define which screen/output is the primary. Read the xrandr manual.

Last edited by anrxc (2010-01-07 21:02:40)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#8 2010-01-08 05:33:22

zowki
Website

I am trying to achieve the same thing as ReaphSharc and I have read the manual but it never said anything about defining which screen is the primary screen.

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#9 2010-01-08 09:30:33

ReaphSharc
Website

anrxc wrote:

screen 0 (with my panels, wbar and such) ends up on the monitor (VGA-0) but I want it to stay on the laptop screen (LVDS).

You can use the same xrandr to specifically define which screen/output is the primary. Read the xrandr manual.

And if you would have read the post, you would have noticed the --primary option has been used in one of the previous helpful replies (and not achiving what I need, at least not the way used now or else this thread would be [solved]).

Reading a thread you're responding too is as vital as reading a man page... Then again, what do I know. I've only been using Linux at home and at work for the past 10 years. wink

I'm 100% Linux!

Board footer