You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-11 15:06:23

Redrazor39

How do I start an app using transset-df with the command line?

I'm using openbox and have found that I can make xfce4-panel transparent using transset. The only problem is that I have to run "transset" and then click on the panel every time. Is there a command I could just type in to the command line that would start xfce4-panel with .75 transparency? I could then add that to my autostart.sh file and all would be good and dandy.

What I was thinking is maybe there's a command like

transset-df .75 xfce4-panel

that starts up the panel with 75% opacity. Obviously that doesn't work because I tried it. I also read something about using a script, but I don't know how to write those. Perhaps there is a way to set it so whenever xfce4-panel is started, transset-df sets it at 75% opacity? How would I go about doing this?

Last edited by Redrazor39 (2009-06-11 15:15:19)

#2 2009-06-11 18:55:25

dunc

Re: How do I start an app using transset-df with the command line?

I don't think you can do it that way, but

transset-df -n {WINDOW TITLE}

will work once the window is open. So you could try something like

sleep 3 && transset-df -n xfce4-panel

at the end of your autostart.sh. That might not be the right name for xfce4-panel. Use xwininfo; the name will be in quotes somewhere in the output, after the window's id number.

You (well, I smile) usually need the sleep to give the program time to start. It can be tricky getting the value right, but even if the window is opaque for a few seconds after startup, at least you don't have to set it up manually.

Having said all that, doesn't xfce4-panel have its own translucency setting? It's been a while since I used Xfce.

0 Ok, 0:1

#3 2009-06-11 20:04:33

Redrazor39

Thanks! It works, for about a split second. I see the panel as translucent, but then it goes opaque immediately after that. I used xwininfo and found the name is "xfce4-panel 4.6.1".

Also, I tried the translucency setting in the panel, but that only works if you're using Xfce and you turn compositing on from the Window Manager Tweaks (or something) setting.

#4 2009-06-11 20:38:52

Redrazor39

More precisely, this seems to happen when the mouse cursor appears. The transparency will be perfect for a little bit, then it all goes opaque. If only there was a way to make the transset command persist a little better! What could be making it stop?

#5 2009-06-12 19:54:03

dunc

Redrazor39 wrote:

Also, I tried the translucency setting in the panel, but that only works if you're using Xfce and you turn compositing on from the Window Manager Tweaks (or something) setting.

Eeew. sad I'm fairly sure it used to work no matter what compositing manager you used, but maybe I'm just imagining that.

What could be making it stop?

Ah, now there you have me. I've never seen that happen before. I suggest you try applying it to a different window to see if it "sticks" there, because all I can think of is that maybe the panel's "internal" translucency arrangement is interfering with transset in some way, even though it doesn't actually work properly without xfwm. Otherwise, it's got me beat too, I'm afraid.

0 Ok, 0:1

#6 2010-01-08 14:40:06

bluearcus

Openbox seems to be doing a 'tidy up' of all windows after autostart.sh completes.

This would be fine, except for the fact that the tidy up re-renders every window and while it does so it re-sets transparency as part of the same process.

So, to get your xfce panel to stick at the transparency setting you apply with transset-df, you need to ensure the transset-df is done after autostart.sh finishes.

The easiest way to achieve this is to create a small script, say in /usr/local/bin

# /usr/local/bin/openbox-xfce-panel-transset
# Set xfce4-panel transparency after safe delay

sleep 1
transset-df -n "xfce4-panel 4.6.1" 0.75

Add a call to this as the last line of your autostart.sh

# Set xfce4-panel transparency after autostart.sh has exited
openbox-xfce-panel-transset &

Regards,

Mike

Last edited by bluearcus (2010-01-08 19:25:56)

#7 2010-01-08 15:56:44

kgas

Another simply way is to use devilspie and set the transparency applications per se.

Board footer