You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-07 20:05:54

tragic

X wont start anymore.

Yesterday morning everything was working fine, I was on IRC and chatting with a few friends when my browser (Iron) crashed. I tried starting it back up and it would close again, I typed ps x to try and kill any leftover processes but there were none. I typed ls and got a "command not found" same with the command "free". So I rebooted my system (reboot wasn't found either so I had to hold the power button in) and when i started up I couldn't connect to the internet wirelessly and when I tried starting X I would get a black screen with two little lines on the top that are the size of underscores. So I did a DoD short format using DBAN and reinstalled arch this morning... same thing after starting X. I'm on a Dell Vostro business laptop and lspci shows the card to be a Intel Mobile GM965/GL960.

No idea what the problem is, I started a live cd to make sure it could start X and xubuntu worked completely fine.

Hopefully I can get some help,

thanks for reading.

#2 2010-01-08 18:37:23

liquibyte
Website

Re: X wont start anymore.

Sounds to me like a hardware problem.  Namely your harddrive is going out.  Do you have a spare drive you can install to and see if that works?  I've had this problem and that's what it was for me at least.  If you mount your other drive after the fact, you may still be able to save your data.

#3 2010-01-08 18:53:03

JuseBox

Re: X wont start anymore.

liquibyte wrote:

Sounds to me like a hardware problem.  Namely your harddrive is going out.  Do you have a spare drive you can install to and see if that works?  I've had this problem and that's what it was for me at least.  If you mount your other drive after the fact, you may still be able to save your data.

It is your HDD, It is working from your optical drive that is why your live cds work.  You could always grab a 2 gb usb drive and work from there until you get a new drive for the laptop.  This has happened to me twice. The first time I thought that same things just like you.

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

Board footer