You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-09 19:58:01

prairie_dad

64 bit noob wants a 32 bit app... [SOLVED...for now!]

I got the following when trying to install Google Earth:

Uncompressing Google Earth for GNU/Linux 5.1.3533.1731...............................................................
./setup.sh: line 216: setup.data/bin/Linux/amd64/setup.gtk2: No such file or directory
./setup.sh: line 216: setup.data/bin/Linux/amd64/setup.gtk: No such file or directory
The setup program seems to have failed on amd64

Fatal error, installer failed to run at all!

Is this just a question of trying to run a 32 bit app on a 64 bit OS?  And, if it is, how do I solve it?  Can I just install 32 bit libs (and which ones?) or must I do a 32 bit chroot for this...that seems rather a drag!  I've read the 64 fit FAQ, and can manage the chroot if I must...but it just seems like a lot of trouble.

thanks,

dave

Last edited by prairie_dad (2010-01-09 22:07:24)

#2 2010-01-09 20:12:56

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: 64 bit noob wants a 32 bit app... [SOLVED...for now!]

The chroot method is generally regarded as cleaner, but the lib32 method also works.

I'm guessing you're not yet familiar with the AUR? Read up about it, then install this.

#3 2010-01-09 21:46:58

prairie_dad

tomk wrote:

The chroot method is generally regarded as cleaner, but the lib32 method also works.

I'm guessing you're not yet familiar with the AUR? Read up about it, then install this.

Thanks, tomk,

I'm almost there.  Have read up on AUR, installed all the dependencies (I thought...at least, I installed all those on the page you sent me to, I was still missing

Targets (2): lib32-libxfixes-4.0.4-1  lib32-libxdamage-1.1.2-1

) downloaded the tarball, unzipped it, ran makepkg...and exit with "no permission to create directory src in bin32-google-earth...etc."

this was makepkg -s, with my password for sudo to work...no luck.

so I checked up on fakeroot...and found that it appeared to be enabled in makepkg.conf...so ran makepkg without "-s" and got the same error.... 

Thought I would be smart and just go ahead and make the directory /bin32-google.../src myself...and obviously didn't give it the right permissions, since when I ran makepkg again...still no luck, though the error has changed from can't create directory to can't download files into this directory...I can change that, too, but why is the fakeroot trick (or sudo, for that matter...) not working.  (It occurs to me that I may not be in sudoers...but I can fix that...and fakeroot ought to work anyway, shouldn't it?)

many thanks, we're almost there and I'll be a little smarter for next time.

dave

#4 2010-01-09 22:06:32

prairie_dad

all good...I just changed the permissions on ~/builds and that was that!  fakeroot worked as advertised (I ran makepkg without "-s" to test.)

dave

Board footer