You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-07 21:20:43

syväpaahto

[SOLVED]Gnome bookmarks gone nuts

Every time I click "places" and some bookmark or home folder, gnome doesn't start nautilus. It tries to open the location with "eog". The problem started when I removed useless entries with alacarte. No installs or updates done for some time.

I already checked:

~/.config/menus/* = Nothing strange there.
/etc/xdg/menus/* = same as above
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache = no problems
~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache = also clean
gconf-editor: desktop-gnome-applications-component_viewer = nautilus %s

No more solutions found with search.

Can somebody help me to fix this or even give me a hint what the hell happened?

EDIT: Shutting down nautilus result this:

hash table keys for warning below
<my login name>
inode/directory
users
<my full name>

possibly related?

Last edited by syväpaahto (2010-01-09 22:17:46)

#2 2010-01-08 00:20:47

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]Gnome bookmarks gone nuts

maybe check /etc/xdg as well? i think there are some other directories but not sure where

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#3 2010-01-08 23:29:54

syväpaahto

I didn't find a solution.

Because I had similar problem with Gnome in the past when I used Ubuntu, I decided to ditch Gnome and switch to Openbox. I'm suprisingly happy with it.

#4 2010-01-09 00:28:07

robrene

I believe any changes you do with alacarte are reflected in ~/.local/share/applications/. Try to look into some .desktop files here (your normal filebrowser wont be able to open them for viewing, use a terminal and open them from there with whatever viewer {cat, less, nano, gedit}).

The entry that might be messing things up is something like a Hidden=true in nautilus.desktop or so. I seem to remember that the Hidden key 'turns off' the .desktop file. If you want the launcher to be activated but invisible, set Hidden to true and NoDisplay to false (you might need to add the NoDisplay line yourself).

smile neutral sad big_smile yikes wink hmm tongue lol mad roll cool

#5 2010-01-09 22:17:20

syväpaahto

It worked! nautilus.desktop had "Hidden=true" value

I originally went though all relevant ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop, but I would have never seen that. Gnome works, but for now I'll stay with openbox. It feels better and I'm only having a small problem with xcompmgr, avant and wine, that looks like a memory leak. I'll make a new post about it after some googling.

Board footer