You are not logged in.

#51 2005-02-13 19:29:23

kth5
Website

Re: ArchLinux/PPC

i just uploaded 3 floppy disk images to my local httpd, you can use them to install archlinux on your oldworld macintosh computers.

http://telekommunisten.dyndns.org/~kth5 … ages-1.44/

short instructions:

* download all images and use dd to write them to one floppy disk each
* partition your disk with the Dtools & make sure to use an apple partition map & have a working driver slice
* boot the boot-ofonly disk and insert the root disk when prompted
* when busybox comes up bring your network up (hint: use insmod)
* best thing to do is to mirror all packages locally and host them via http
* mke2fs and mount your target partition (hint: cat /proc/partitions)
* run quickinst (add parameters of your preference)
* modify pacman.conf and pacman.d/current
* edit rc.conf etc. etc.
* when done manually install your bootloader (miboot, quik, yaboot or bootx)
* happy hacking

known issues

* pacman.static can't use ftp while using busybox, use a http mirror instead
* modprobe doesn't work, use insmod
* /tmp is linked to /mnt/target/tmp, make sure to mount some diskspace there and create tmp
* installer may only work on oldworld machines
* no dialog based setup yet

i know it's not exactly comfortable but it works. smile

if all this sounds like heaps of nonsense to you, leave it be. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS! tongue

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#52 2005-02-14 01:57:00

GT

Once I get my iBook back from repairs, I'll start on a newworld installer. (Probably just kth5's floppies on a cdrom?) I guess I'll see when I get my iBook back. smile

#53 2005-02-14 08:45:44

kth5
Website

i dunno, guess it's like for the floppies. there's a hfs on them and a faked MacOS system folder. once i saw a macosx cd and that one looked about the same from macosx's filemanager.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#54 2005-02-21 06:04:48

GT

Woah, what happened to the last few posts?  :shock:
edit: Just read the announcement. I'll just repost my question.

kth5: What FS is root.img? I can't seem to mount it on loopback.

#55 2005-02-21 07:06:21

kth5
Website

GT wrote:

kth5: What FS is root.img? I can't seem to mount it on loopback.

normal root disk, gzipped ext2.

#56 2005-02-23 21:39:35

kth5
Website

glad to hear at least *some* positive words!

i'm not that much of a programmer either, as i might have said here before i'm hacking stuff together more than anything else with this. finding out how to accomplish things for fun and profit is the best. tongue

anyhow, if you wouldn't mind to try porting the floppy installer to a newworld bootable cd... heh

#57 2005-02-24 09:29:09

GT

I'm working on porting the floppies to cds already. wink
I've got it to boot, but it's locking up after mounting the root filesystem. Probably just needs some more tweaking. smile
I've also begun porting the Arch setup script to work with PPC. (Removing grub,lilo, adding yaboot, changing partitioner, etc...). It's not very hard (it's all BASH), just takes awhile because there's alot of things to change. tongue

#58 2005-02-24 09:32:03

kth5
Website

just so we do not invent the wheel twice, plz contact me on jabber to discuss our cooperation. i've sent you several "pings" already but didn't get a reply...  roll

#59 2005-02-25 11:14:09

GT

kth5 wrote:

just so we do not invent the wheel twice, plz contact me on jabber to discuss our cooperation. i've sent you several "pings" already but didn't get a reply...  roll

Sorry about that. I've been sleeping at night lately, and before during my little vacation I wasn't waking up till a few hours later than when you contacted me. sad

Perhaps this weekend I'll be able to chat with you. Time to fire up the coffee machine. wink

topper: I'll let you know as soon as I get something working. Hopefully I'll have something by tonight. smile

#60 2005-03-02 20:29:37

GT

If anyone has problems with the packages from xentac (corrupt, missing, etc) I'm temporarily hosting current from my home server. Be kind though, I only have 384kbit/s upload. tongue

[current]
Server = http://www.gmeow.com/ppc/current

Feel free to sync to my gtppc repo, which has the newworld kernel and few other goodies.

[gtppc]
Server = http://www.yupadog.com/ppc/gt

#61 2005-03-05 20:38:19

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Is anyone having problems with the packages from my server?  I'd kind of like to know if they were...

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#62 2005-03-06 22:55:22

kth5
Website

i have been experiencing problems with the rsync packages on x86 arch (ppc prolly has  similar problems) which i thought i fixed days ago already since GT was able to sync the repo from my host. anyhow, please let me know if it is something i can do to fix these problems. i haven't had much time lately to work on this cos of this new exciting job. wink

still, i have been experimenting with different boot methods. BootX, yaboot and quik are all mysteriously just working or not. i can't firgure out what makes them fail and what not and not much docs are out there in the www either. it will still take some time from here.

@gnunux

the best way to do it for now would be if you get BootX. this bootloader works from ontop of macos (8 and up) as far as i know. you can even use the dtools85.img floppy image to boot into a minimal macos and install it to hdd, then use BootX to load the kernel and a ramdisk (use the raw root.img for that). you can grab the kernel itself from the boot.img (hfs) from within macos.

before you can install arch/ppc you need an empty partition and know it's devfs device name. you can use mke2fs to format it using ext2 (you need that to use quik as bootloader) and tune2fs -j to make an ext3 journal.
* get networking up and running
* mount the disc you plan to install to /mnt/target
* create /mnt/target/tmp
* run: quickinst ftp /mnt/target http://xentac.net/ppc
* chroot into /mnt/target and configure your system like you would for x86
* then install a bootloader (or none if you want to use bootx)
* reboot and boot into your new arch wink

BootX http://penguinppc.org/~benh/

btw, newworld machines are not supported atm. the iso image you used is a WIP release by GT. please ask him about it.

#63 2005-03-07 18:52:05

sarah31
Website

kth5 wrote:

btw, newworld machines are not supported atm. the iso image you used is a WIP release by GT. please ask him about it.

sorry but...ROFL!

Talk about an extremely limited PPC version.

Sorry I had to say it i don't know anyone using an oldworld mac as their main mac.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#64 2005-03-07 19:59:14

kth5
Website

excuse me? do something about it instead of making silly jokes which btw is why i remember your nick. i'm one of those guys who can't spend hundreds a year on hardware.

#65 2005-03-10 00:34:29

GT

Sorry I haven't had time to work on the NewWorld boot cd. NewWorld Arch/PPC DOES work, just have to install using a CRUX or gentoo live cd. tongue

If more than 1 or 2 people really want to get their NewWorld macs running Arch/PPC, I suppose I could make a "snapshot" of a base system with all the required boot packages installed, and then you could just partition and format using a CRUX/Gentoo PPC live cd, untar the snapshot onto your mounted root, and run ybin/mkofboot.

#66 2005-03-10 16:20:39

Eldomir

I am not currently an Arch user, but I'd love to try it on my ibook. I would really appreciate it if you did work on that working newworld LiveCD wink

#67 2005-03-10 17:18:00

kth5
Website

Eldomir wrote:

I am not currently an Arch user, but I'd love to try it on my ibook. I would really appreciate it if you did work on that working newworld LiveCD wink

i started to work on one based on GT's. problem is that i hope it actually boots on a real newworld as i do not boot directly off from the cd but bootx. it will be released shortly, give me 2 or 3 days. smile

#68 2005-03-13 15:33:37

kth5
Website

from which one of the mirrors did you get the packages from? i am preparing a new pacman package with proper mirrors preconfigured. unfortunately i can't really say that i made any progress with the cd so far. hmm

#69 2005-03-20 23:29:30

kth5
Website

well, i seriously dun have enough time to do all of the archppc documentation. i plan to do so though as soon as the installer is in some sort of a final state.

#70 2005-04-14 09:23:29

Blaasvis

any progress ?

Freedom is what i love

#71 2005-04-21 09:03:26

maci
Website

heh alex...

you have quite luck with 4 macs to compile..

i do all the [base] && [kernels] stuff on a 400mhz amd k6-2

and some other dudes compiling other stuff on even slower machine hehe

#72 2005-05-12 14:09:56

kth5
Website

since the cvs has been down for quite some time now, i've been in search for a new host and found something. benoitc (admin of archlinuxfr.org) was so kind to setup a subversion account for me on his server. everyone who wants to get the ABS for Arch/PPC can get it here

http://www.archlinuxfr.org/svn/archppc/

#73 2005-05-22 19:53:49

Blaasvis

i have made a synable extra today:
ftp://schoolbak.dyndns.org/pub/archlinux/extra/os/ppc

Thx to JGC for supplying the bandwidth/serverspace.
If you want any package that is allready in extra/i686 and you made it work pleace email the pkgbuild en other build/install files.

Freedom is what i love

#74 2005-05-22 21:35:41

kth5
Website

providing an seperate stand-alone extra is not quite what i had in mind. the mirroring situation has been bad ever since i started. it would be wise to sync it to my machine from which xentac for example syncs daily. that way we can save him the trouble of setting up another rsync job etc or me doing so. contact me about the details, i'm sure we can work something out.

#75 2005-05-23 06:14:48

Blaasvis

well just hit me on irc and we will work it out wink

Freedom is what i love

Board footer