You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-12 01:59:34

stiffy420

Delete unnessery folders/files

Hey!

is it possible to delete unnessery files and folders in a fairly easy way?

because ive tried out a couple of programs and uninstalled them. and now i seem folders and files everywhere from those applications.

#2 2010-01-12 02:09:10

perbh

Re: Delete unnessery folders/files

??
In linux/unix they are 'directories', not folders!
"man rm" or "man rmdir" - unless, of course you do it the windows-way and using a file-manager and clicking on the appropriate directories *shudder*

#3 2010-01-12 02:57:43

lagagnon
Website

Properly removing a package using pacman should not leave any garbage. If the program (e.g. gftp) created a hidden directory in your home directory (e.g. ~/.gftp) or file, then you can safely delete that directory or file if you no longer intend to ever use that application again and if that directory obviously does not contain any data you require.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#4 2010-01-12 03:02:09

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

I use these commands to look in my home directory for extraneous files:

$ find ~ -name '*PACKAGE*'

and

$ find ~ -type f -exec grep -H 'PACKAGE' "{}" +

where PACKAGE is the name of the package you uninstalled. For those that run as root/another user it also helps to check /var/log and /var/lib, but other directories are usually handled by pacman yeah

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

Board footer