You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-21 10:31:52

alanmies

System clock getting out of sync

I've been running Arch for a couple of months, and so far have been very satisfied. However, for the past month or so, I've noticed that the system clock keeps advancing, I reckon it's about a minute or two in an hour.

The hardware clock keeps it's time just fine, so I could set a cron job to do "hwclock --hctosys", but that just seems kind of redundant. Any ideas what could be causing this? This is a mere nuisance, but it sometimes causes me to leave for a lecture too early smile

#2 2005-02-21 11:22:04

incinerator

Re: System clock getting out of sync

I have been seeing the same behaviour on my machine. I set up an ntp client to compensate for it. However, I'd also like to know if there is a real fix for that.

Cheers,
Dominik

#3 2005-02-21 13:55:11

FUBAR
Website

Maybe enabling Enhanced Real Time Clock Support (Device Drivers - Character devices) in your kernel helps. I always compile it in or make a module out of it.

Lol, I was checking the kernel config to see where the option was at and I noticed I hadn't loaded the module. big_smile I have my clock synced every hour tho with rdate.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#4 2005-02-21 19:15:19

iBertus

This probably isn't the same problem your having but my clock starting GAINING time just before my power supply blew up and killed my motherboard. IIRC you can check the output from dmesg and see if the CPU clock reported matches your CPU clock speed. If not, that may be your problem and there is a program around somewhere (don't recall it's name) that lets you apply a correction factor to the system clock.

#5 2005-02-22 08:58:47

alanmies

iBertus wrote:

This probably isn't the same problem your having but my clock starting GAINING time just before my power supply blew up and killed my motherboard. IIRC you can check the output from dmesg and see if the CPU clock reported matches your CPU clock speed. If not, that may be your problem and there is a program around somewhere (don't recall it's name) that lets you apply a correction factor to the system clock.

Yes, the correct term is probably "gaining time", English is not my mother tongue. But I think this is not an issue with my power supply (I hope) as this Shuttle is ~6 months old. The output of dmesg seems just fine... I guess I'll just go the cron route as hwclock works the way it's supposed to, thanks for the input.

Board footer