You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-12 20:41:27

Phein

[SOLVED]Buzzing sound from headset

I got a new 5.1 surround headset a few weeks ago, and have been struggling with a strange buzzing sound whenever I move my mouse. I also get a very high pitched sound when I move a window on screen.
The strange thing about this is that it only happens when I have all the 3.5MM jacks plugged in. If I only have the green and pink jacks plugged, this sound is not produced. But when I plug in the black and the orange jack, the buzzing sound occurs. I have tried plugging only 1 of the jacks at a time, and the buzzing sound is produced, but not as loudly.

I have read around, and I am not the only one having this kind of a problem. Some have said it is caused by interference with the mouse (USB mouse). I have tried plugging the mouse onto another USB slot at the other side of my PC, but it still caused the buzzing sound.

I am quite sure this is a hardware related problem, as it's produced if I am using alsa or OSS.
lspci -v info about the sound card:

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV630/M76 audio device [Radeon HD 2600 Series]
    Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Device aa08
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
    Memory at fdcfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

The headset itself is the Roccat Kave, and has a black, an orange, a green, and a pink jack for sound, and 1 USB plug for power.
So, any idea if this actually is a hardware related problem? And anything I can do on software side to solve it? Or do I need to get a new sound card?

Feel free to move this wherever you want, as I was not quite sure of where to post this.

Last edited by Phein (2010-02-04 19:41:33)

#2 2010-01-13 00:54:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]Buzzing sound from headset

Sounds like electrical noise caused by some faulty leakage. Not much you can do without tinkering with the machine physically unfortunately. A sound card which is electrically isolated from the PC (external sound card) may help, but that's an investment.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-02-04 16:54:53

knopwob
Website

Hey,

i had the same problem. It came from the usb jack of the headset. Even though it's just used as a powersource.
The only way i could get rid of this, was to use an external usb-powersupply for the electrical outlet. I don't think these are very expensive. Luckily for me, there was one included with my headset.

#4 2010-02-04 19:41:08

Phein

Oh. I completely forgot about this thread! Anyway, the problem was simpler to fix than I ever could of imagined.
The problem was that my headsets own mixers were all at max, and I turned them all to 0, then slowly raised the volumes on it. And the buzzing sound was gone! I am still wondering why having mixer settings affected the mouse, anyone that has any clue of why this might have happened?

#5 2010-02-06 03:34:12

1LordAnubis
Website

I've had this problem since I got this computer... including headset, and standalone speakers. I'm not sure what kind of physical modification I could make to fix the noise, but maybe it has something to do with a desktop P4 being stuck in a laptop. Luckily, its not nearly as noticeable if you use external speakers.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

Board footer