You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-12 00:16:06

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Arch Linux Handbook Now Available on Amazon.com

Hey all,

Wanted to let people know that the Arch Linux Handbook is now available from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Arch-Linux-Handbo … 448699606/

This can be useful if you are ordering other items from Amazon or looking for (hopefully) cheaper shipping to International Destinations.  However, Amazon takes a bigger cut of sales through that medium, so I'd appreciate it if you continue to purchase from the createspace estore if you don't have a good reason not to:

https://www.createspace.com/Customer/ES … id=3398103

For those not yet aware, the Arch Linux Handbook is a print version of the famous Beginner's Guide in the wiki.  It is professional bound and published as print on demand.

Dusty

#2 2009-10-12 03:09:44

zowki
Website

Re: Arch Linux Handbook Now Available on Amazon.com

So its a duplication of the Beginner's guide? I was expecting it to be something on par with the FreeBSD handbook.

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#3 2009-10-12 19:23:20

Anonymo
Website

So basically, we wrote this book?  big_smile

#4 2009-10-12 20:43:28

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Anonymo wrote:

So basically, we wrote this book?  big_smile

Yup. That's why it says 'compiled by' rather than 'by' on the cover. tongue

To everyone's credit (especially Jules, originator and primary maintainer of the Beginner's Guide): Congratulations, you're published authors. :-D

Dusty

Last edited by Dusty (2009-10-12 21:17:23)

#5 2009-10-14 22:33:49

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Dusty wrote:

...To everyone's credit (especially Jules, originator and primary maintainer of the Beginner's Guide): Congratulations, you're published authors. :-D

Dusty

yikes Thanks Dusty.

#6 2009-10-30 13:16:15

otisranson

Got mine in just the other day.  Haven't really read much of it yet, except for the background of the distro. smile

Last edited by otisranson (2009-10-30 13:16:31)

#7 2009-10-30 21:39:58

loafer

I got mine last week.  Thanks for putting the effort in to compile it.  I always love it when I get to the bit that says "DON'T PANIC!".

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#8 2009-10-31 12:13:29

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

loafer wrote:

I got mine last week.  Thanks for putting the effort in to compile it.  I always love it when I get to the bit that says "DON'T PANIC!".

Dusty should update it and put that on the cover; this would be epic.

#9 2009-11-02 16:05:20

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Next Edition. smile

#10 2009-11-04 03:56:05

Pawcatuck

I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer reading books to reading screens, so I was glad to have the noble Arch Linux Handbook around for my latest adventure in Arch installing. Print's nice and big, too. Easy for geezers to read. smile

Last edited by Pawcatuck (2009-11-04 03:56:40)

#11 2010-01-02 00:37:25

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

I had to buy one just to see how they turned out... got it yesterday.

Wow...

If anyone is wondering if it's worth the small price he's asking, I'd have to say, yes. Absolutely.

The binding is very very nice.  The cover is nice as well. It's a very well put together (physically) , and you will probably be familiar with most of the content if you've ever used the wiki.
Dusty has did an outstanding job on putting this all together, and while I wasn't really expecting much when I ordered one (other than having a piece of Arch history), I must say, I am very pleasantly surprised by what a nice book this actually is. 

For those new to Arch, that don't have a second machine, I could see this being extremely useful. There are always live cd's of course, which allow access to the wiki, but the book covers enough of the basic stuff to get you setup and running with nothing else.

+1 on this one Dusty smile Great job. smile

#12 2010-01-03 21:44:06

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Thanks for the kind words, Crouse.

Dusty

#13 2010-01-10 22:06:37

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Great news everyone,

Aside from being listed from my sales page on CreateSpace (https://www.createspace.com/Customer/ES … id=3398103) and on Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Arch-Linux-Handbo … 448699606/), the Arch Linux Handbook is now available through Barnes and Noble:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Arch-L … arch+linux

The Arch Linux Handbook is now listed in the Books in Print list, so you can also order it by going to your favourite bookstore and asking them to get you a copy (tell them the ISBN: 1448699606); you should be able to get it for the list price without paying shipping. I'd appreciate it if people can tell me about their experiences if they have managed to do this (or not!).

For the record, I prefer you order directly from Createspace, as they only take 20% above the printing costs (amazon takes 40% and all other stores take 60%), but I want everyone to be aware of their options and opportunities for purchasing the handbook.

Dusty

#14 2010-01-10 23:47:09

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

What's actually in that book and how does it stay up-to-date?
I also wonder who's buying it. I really don't mean to disparage anyone, but it seems that if you need that book then Arch probably isn't right for you. I suspect that such a book really just encourages the Ubuntu mentality and attracts people looking for a "l33t" distro.

Do any of the profits go to Arch? That question is really only relevant if the books is mostly wiki material.

Whatever the answers, please don't release an "Arch for Dummies" book.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#15 2010-01-11 00:06:52

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

That's all been documented in another thread, when I originally released the handbook.

Dusty

#16 2010-01-11 01:44:50

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Sorry, I've forgotten the answers if I've read that post.

I interpret the absence of a link in your reply to mean that you weren't too happy with my questions, so I apologize if you took it as "zomgwtf's the point?". I just see a potential mismatch of interests, that's all.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#17 2010-01-11 02:02:42

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

I read it while I'm taking the bus to and from work.... and during my breaks when I'm away from my computer etc etc etc.... 

I don't think anyone running arch "needs" the book, but it is pretty cool, and handy if you don't have an internet connection or only have one computer.
Well over 100 people have bought it I believe, pretty much proving it's worth right there....and I haven't heard any complaints, perhaps it's not for "you", but that doesn't
preclude it's usefulness to other people wink

#18 2010-01-11 19:49:31

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Xyne wrote:

I interpret the absence of a link in your reply to mean that you weren't too happy with my questions, so I apologize if you took it as "zomgwtf's the point?".

Not so much, I'm just very busy and have a extremely crappy connection, so answering questions twice and looking up links isn't high on my priority list. wink My pointer was "go find that post" and I wanted to get it posted before I got disconnected again.

Dusty

Last edited by Dusty (2010-01-11 19:50:17)

#19 2010-01-12 00:25:36

jwbirdsong

Xyne wrote:

<snip>Whatever the answers, please don't release an "Arch for Dummies" book.

That would most likely be compiled from IRC logs then; no???
LOTS of Arch dummies in there.. (Including me at times)

Could maybe get a What NOT to do in Arch from there.

Ordering mine as I type .... Arch Linux Handbook  that is.

Last edited by jwbirdsong (2010-01-12 00:26:09)

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#20 2010-01-12 15:27:43

zowki
Website

I was ordering a couple school textbooks from Amazon and so I thought I might as well buy this too considering it isn't very expensive. I'm anticipating what it could possibly contain. I'll report back my reviews on this book.

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#21 2010-01-13 17:39:12

MkFly

It's inexpensive and handy to have a hardcopy of the Wiki guide laying around, so I bought a copy.  At the very least, I can use it to illegibly scrawl random Arch notes inside the covers. smile

#22 2010-01-13 19:04:59

flowheat

zowki wrote:

I was ordering a couple school textbooks from Amazon and so I thought I might as well buy this too considering it isn't very expensive. I'm anticipating what it could possibly contain. I'll report back my reviews on this book.

I was doing the same thing and figured what's 10 bucks when you're ordering a few hundred on text books for grad school. 

I did find it interesting that someone is selling a used copy for $28.76 though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ … ition=used

#23 2010-01-13 19:09:58

jeffreyldavidson

I use an Amazon Kindle and love it. Please make the book availble for the Kindle. That permission has to come from the author. Thanks...Jeff

#24 2010-01-13 22:58:02

jwbirdsong

jeffreyldavidson wrote:

I use an Amazon Kindle and love it. Please make the book availble for the Kindle. That permission has to come from the author. Thanks...Jeff

That is, I think, a heck of a good idea.  Not sure what all would be involved in it tho.

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#25 2010-01-16 20:26:12

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Hey all,

James pinged me about the Kindle version. I can't create anything in the Kindle store, as they require you to be a US citizen. I'm not certain why they want to block out the majority of content creators in the world, but that's their problem not mine!

Anyway, I sent him a .mobi file, which I understand can be uploaded to the Kindle. If he gets back to me to say if the formatting is ok and it uploads fine, I'll post the file on my site for free download.

In the meantime, I understand the Kindle can browse wikipedia -- can it also be configured to browse other mediawiki installs, such as wiki.archlinux.org? The handbook is simply the beginner's guide in book format, so if you can browse the wiki on your device, you have the handbook!

Finally, the Arch Linux Handbook is now available internationally. I only checked two international amazon sites, but both amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk have the book available now:

http://www.amazon.ca/Arch-Linux-Handboo … 448699606/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arch-Linux-Hand … 448699606/

I am guessing the other Amazon sites also host it; if you search for "Arch Linux" in your country's Amazon, you should be able to find it. As I mentioned before, these stores keep a substantially higher percentage of the profit, so I prefer you order from createspace, but if you were hoping to combine orders to get free shipping from an international site, you can now do so.

Dusty

Board footer