You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-21 07:43:31

lmellen

typical printer not working problem

:? I've just used the cups setup in wiki to try to set up my printer.
     I've gotten to the point where control center or print manager
does recognize my hp deskjet 3650 on usb 1. I've installed the recommended drivers, and tried a test print from print manager and localhost 631. Nothing happens !!
    The world won't end if I don't have printing, but if I'm going to dump windows, I'm eventually going to need a printer.
    Right now I'm totally lost. I used search to run through printer problems in the forum, and apparently this is a common problem. But where do you start, if the modules for usb are wrong, why is the printer being recognized? (it was not recognized in tail /var/log/messages). I have downloaded everything but samba, even the ppd file for this printer. (it's already in hpijs). I'm not sure if I can fix this myself, sure could use some help. -- Thanks --Larry  smile
                                                                   " You gotta love linux "

#2 2005-02-21 08:03:35

SG-3

Re: typical printer not working problem

Well check lsusb usbview etc... to make sure printer is picked up by usb ....

Are you using Hotplug ?

check permissions if you are using udev .....

HTH

"just below me"

#3 2005-02-21 13:20:12

lmellen

:? This is what lsusb shows:
             Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:7204 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 36xx
             Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Hotplug is on the system, but I don't remember configuring it.
I'll check udev.
Thanks for the reply -- Larry --   smile

#4 2005-02-21 13:41:34

JGC
Developer

Put the loglevel from info to debug in cupsd.conf and restart cups. Could be you're missing some wrapper or binary. CUPS depends on ghostscript, which is wrong and you might have rebuilt/installed it without the ghostscript dependency. The real thing that depends on ghostscript is the hpijs printerdrivers.

#5 2005-02-21 15:49:30

lmellen

sad  JGC-the more I use this forum the dummer I feel.  I'm still a newbie!  What does this mean:
                   " Put the loglevel from info to debug in cupsd.conf and restart cups. "
Where is info??? I don't have cupsd.conf, I have cups.config -- Same thing?? 
Could this be a permissions or group add problem??
                                                                             Thanks for the reply -- Larry

#6 2005-02-21 23:40:27

lmellen

sad  Thanks everybody, but I gave up on that laptop(Dell c610). I wasn't happy with the install, kernel 2.6 doesn't like ATI, too many things not working. It's been formatted! I have Arch on a IBM t-23 (uses Savage, not ATI for the video card), so I'll try to get printing on this one. Thanks again -- Larry  smile

*** Not slamming Dell, actually I prefer Dell over IBM!!!!

#7 2005-02-22 00:18:19

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html
Scroll down to C610 section.
Maybe one of those would help you..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer