You are not logged in.

#26 2010-01-14 09:59:19

bender02

Re: Encrypted FS question

OrangeRoot1000 wrote:

GPG - Most ppl overlook this but it's very handy on smaller files and folders, you can "sign" any documentyou recieve to know teh origins. It is NOT good for large files.

It's not true that gpg is not good with large files. Yes, with the default options it's not so good, but the reason is that it tries to compress the file before encrypting. If you turn the compression off, it's reasonably fast.

#27 2010-01-14 15:01:15

OrangeRoot1000
Website

Re: Encrypted FS question

I didn't realize that gpg had a default compresion level, but when I was testing the whole gamut of 'default" encryption apps GPG failed miserably. It took if memory serves me correctly a 700mb image/files over an hour on a 1.6Ghz dual core with 2gb Ram. That is way too long for my tastes.... I can use Encfs/Fuse, drop files into a container with GB's of data (~80-100) in the time it takes for GPG to process its "CD" and just send the containers. Bcrypt flies, mcrypt I didn't like for some reason, ccrypt didn't suit my tastes.

Bcrypt and GPG are xplatform which is an advantage to both. My email carrier only allows 10mb attachments. I have a fast connection but I wouldn't want to upload a cd or more worth of data at one time. I'll carry it on a flash stick instead. There are super, small ones nowadays.

Fuse I did use on one of the BSDS's. It might have been Desktop BSD, but that distro is now defunct. Geli seems to be the BSD standard and honestly it seems to complicated to go through all the effort.

There is a cool option if you have a group of people you regularly send files and it is in AUR... it's called Retroshare.

Last edited by OrangeRoot1000 (2010-01-14 15:03:13)

Board footer