You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-06 12:10:59

XAD

Keymap resetting to USA in GNOME

I have recently had to reinstall my conputer following a freeze and a hard reset of it. This time I decided to try GNOME instead of KDE, and I must say I am not disapointed, quite the contrary. But one thing is nagging. I can get Danish keymap to work no problem, but I have to choose it again after each reboot - fortunately ther is a panel thingy to do this with. but it is rather annoying.

I have tried to delete the US keymap from GNOME's list of active keyboard layouts, but it is just re-instated upon reboot.
I have tried to specifically add the DK keymap as an "option" in the xorg.conf file (the only reason for having that otherwise is use of the NVIDIA driver) - getting rid of the non working options almost killed the system again:rolleyes:
I have tried to set a different default in HAL's policy.

any other ideas for me to try?

#2 2009-12-06 12:46:27

virusso80

Re: Keymap resetting to USA in GNOME

XAD wrote:

I have recently had to reinstall my conputer following a freeze and a hard reset of it. This time I decided to try GNOME instead of KDE, and I must say I am not disapointed, quite the contrary. But one thing is nagging. I can get Danish keymap to work no problem, but I have to choose it again after each reboot - fortunately ther is a panel thingy to do this with. but it is rather annoying.

I have tried to delete the US keymap from GNOME's list of active keyboard layouts, but it is just re-instated upon reboot.
I have tried to specifically add the DK keymap as an "option" in the xorg.conf file (the only reason for having that otherwise is use of the NVIDIA driver) - getting rid of the non working options almost killed the system again:rolleyes:
I have tried to set a different default in HAL's policy.

any other ideas for me to try?

I don't know why, but if you set the correct keymap from the gdm, then it will be automatically loaded for the rest of the session. Note that in the gdm screen, on the bottom, you can see settings for languages and keyborard. Set it correctly, then it will work.

Let us know smile

#3 2009-12-06 19:39:36

XAD

That sounds reasonable, except that I cannot set anything except for accessibility options . I presume the GDM screen is the login screen. I have looked aroung for configurations setting for GDM but nothing seems to be about keyboards, except a node in the init XML that it seems even the guy who did it was too sure about so I won't be messing about in that with out help smile

I someone knows how I show those options I would be glad to hear.

note : there are two things that I find a bit stange, the lesser is, that I cannot choose session type, might not be so strange as GNOME is the only window manager I have installed, but I seem to recall that X installs one also. The second is that I can login as root but I haven't set that in the /etc/GDM/custom.conf file.

#4 2009-12-06 20:10:12

loafer

sorry:  ignore this

Last edited by loafer (2009-12-06 20:10:47)

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#5 2010-01-15 14:16:46

lanxu

I fixed this problem by choosing my keyboard layout in GDM (2.28). The option to choose the session AND the keyboard layout appears at the bottom of the GDM screen after I have chosen my user. Choose the desired options and you'll have the desired options automatically in the future. Strange UI choice for Gnome though...

Last edited by lanxu (2010-01-15 14:17:45)

#6 2010-01-15 15:21:42

drcouzelis
Website

It sounds like you tried many things! I had some problems with my keyboard layout in GNOME. GNOME and GDM caused a lot of confusion. For example, GNOME developers stopped using the HAL keyboard setting because HAL is deprecated. sad I think the GNOME developers expect you to do what lanxu said. I did something different.

Maybe GNOME and GDM are the problem. You can try this:

Disable GDM. Reboot and login at the command prompt. (No X)

Follow these instructions to setup your keyboard layout in HAL. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … otplugging Make sure you use the right name for you keyboard layout! (I didn't) tongue

Try using a simple window manager. For example, in ".xinitrc", use:

xterm &
exec twm

(Warning! TWM is really ugly!) yikes The reason I suggest trying a simple window manager is because GNOME uses gconf, and I think gconf keyboard settings are very confusing.

"startx" to start X.

Test the keyboard layout. Does it match what you told HAL to use?

(end of test)

To fix the GNOME / GDM / gconf keyboard setting problem, I decided to setup my keyboard layout in HAL, I use SLiM to login to X, and I don't use any gconf keyboard layout settings. (I removed the setting by deleting the keyboard files in the .gconf directory)

That's it. Does that help?

Board footer