You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-15 17:11:42

nicgaller

New install - segmentation faults when starting most GTK apps

Good morning all.  I am very much an Arch Linux newbie and looking for a bit of help in basic troubleshooting.  I have read the wiki, etc, but not really finding anything.  I am really keen to learn how to troubleshoot this since that is the main reason I am experimenting with Arch, to get my hands a bit greasy.

OK so I have set up Arch on a 32 bit VM, worked great.  Then I decided to set it up on my desktop.  I installed the 64 bit version, worked great, used pacman to install Xorg, xf86-input, nvidia and nvidia-utils, and made sure X would start up (good old twm, hadn't seen its face in a long time).  All good so far.  Then I installed gvim, and got my first hint that something was not right, as vim would segfault on startup, but I figured a library must be missing and it would sort itself out once everything was loaded so I pulled the big one - gnome and gnome-extra.  First I got a lot of segfaults during the installation, every time gtk-update-icon-cache was run.  However gvim was now working (in console mode, anyway) so I figured it was a step up.  Next, gnome started, sort of, except the panel did not show up.  Running gnome-panel manually gave a segmentation fault.  Can't say that I was surprised smile  I tried ldd against it and it segfaulted as well.  Then I loaded it in gdb to get a backtrace and it ended in match_symbol in ld-linux.so.  So I am guessing I got some sort of library mix-up?  And a gut feeling that it is related to nvidia... but where do I go from here to track it down?  I tried uninstalling nvidia, nvidia-utils, and reinstalling libgl (which nvidia-utils conflicted with), but that didn't change anything.

Any input would be much appreciated!

EDIT: I installed firefox and it too crashes with a segmentation fault.  Yet apps like xterm, gcc, vim work fine.  I am going to try to reinstall in the suspicion that my original media may have been bad... I already tried reinstalling some random packages like libc, glib2, gtk2 etc but maybe something more drastic is in order smile

Last edited by nicgaller (2009-12-16 04:29:43)

#2 2009-12-16 15:33:34

nicgaller

Re: New install - segmentation faults when starting most GTK apps

Soo I did a full reinstall... pretty simple process:
* boot from USB, install base
* pacman -S xorg xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-keyboard firefox
* Xorg -configure
* mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
* add "hal" to the daemon list in /etc/rc.conf
* reboot
* startx

Now I get a bus error instead.  Haven't installed any video driver yet... but the default vesa driver will be included in xorg, right?  Funny thing is it did start up correctly when I tried it the first time, before I added hal to the daemon list, except it did not have any keyboard or mouse input.

Mmm, well I might stick with Ubuntu a little bit longer smile
Still, would love to know if someone has any idea of what I can do to troubleshoot.

#3 2009-12-16 18:06:14

Ranguvar

Video driver is xf86-video-vesa -- use `pacman -Ss vesa` to search wink

For the bus problem, you probably want to have dbus installed and running, doesn't seem you do?
Wiki knows all: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL#Step_1:_Install

I hope that your experience is positive, whatever the outcome smile

#4 2009-12-16 18:31:21

nicgaller

Good deal - will try that when I get home - thanks for the help!

#5 2009-12-17 01:31:33

nicgaller

OK so that was weird.  First of all running ldconfig complained some truncated files.  Then when trying to reinstall the packages I got some error about corrupted tarballs.
I commented out the easynews.com mirror in my pacman mirrorlist and uncommented the archlinux.org one, then reinstalled a few of the packages (xulrunner, gtk2, xorg) and lo and behold it worked.
So I guess some of the packages were corrupted?  Is that possible?

#6 2009-12-19 11:59:02

jceasless

I just ran a 'pacman -Syu' this morning and am having similar problems. I've tried rolling gtk2, glibc, gcc, xulrunner, firefox (and others) back to their previous versions. No luck. I've switched mirrors and reinstalled the new versions as well.

Anyone else seeing anything like this?

nitrogen won't run, firefox won't run, gimp won't run. gtk-demo won't even run...

#7 2009-12-19 13:32:30

jceasless

Should mention that I am running on i686.

#8 2010-01-16 01:20:22

pezboytom

I was also getting this sometimes on my recently installed arch i686. I just reinstalled gtk2, glib2 and now firefox is up and running. I don't know whether this will permanently fix it but it it working at the moment! I also installed gtk but I'm not sure that was necessary.

Board footer