You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 17:17:33

imrehg
Website

blkid: ext2 or ext4?

Hi,

I just tried to convert my drive from ext2 to ext4, following the wiki. Seems to have worked, run into some strangeness:
When running Ubuntu Karmic from USB (what i used for the conversion) blkid gives TYPE="ext4" for the drive. When booting into Arch, blkid gives TYPE="ext2". Both times using blkid 2.16. Why is this difference?

Can this be connected to the fact that I have to manually set "rootfstype=ext4" in grub, otherwise the system tries to mount the drive as ext2 (and fails)? Any way I can fix this?

#2 2010-01-06 17:25:41

lswest
Website

Re: blkid: ext2 or ext4?

Have you changed the filetype in /etc/fstab?  Only thing I can think of that might cause it.  Otherwise I'm sure someone else will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#3 2010-01-06 17:41:38

imrehg
Website

yep, that's the first step in the guide, it's ext4 in /etc/fstab

#4 2010-01-06 19:53:16

lswest
Website

Then the only thing I would suggest you double-check is to see if fdisk/gparted/some kind of partition editor correctly labels the volume's filesystem.  If not, it may indicate a problem with the ext4 conversion within archlinux (the way it handles/reads the filesystem).  Otherwise someone else might be along with a good idea.

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#5 2010-01-16 10:11:03

Wittfella

I just tried to convert my Arch root from ext2 -> ext4 and had the same issue.  Wiki procedure goes fine until the kernel panic on reboot, but trying the fallback kernel doesn't help, still panics.

I got back in using the 'rootfstype=ext4' with the fallback kernel described above.  Once in I rebuilt the default mkinitcpio but no dice, it still seems to try and load the root fs as ext2.

However for me, once in blkid indicates it is ext4.  I checked cfdisk like lswest indicated and it is showing as 'linux ext2'.  Is there anything I can do there?  As far as I know in cfdisk you just select type '82 linux', I don't think there is any specific ext4 type in there.

Board footer