You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-16 16:50:31

SoleSoul

Can I prepare my HD for OSX installation? (HFS+)

After using GParted, the macOSX installation DVD misunderstands the partition table. The Disk Utility thinks that there is a 60GB~ gap of free space at the beginning of the drive. That means I can't prepare a partition for an OSx installation with the DVD.
Is there a way to standardize the partition table with minor changes to the partitions (not a backup/restore solution)? Maybe GParted uses some non-standard format.
If there is none, can I format the partition to HFS+ (journaled) -I think this is the right FS type that is needed for OSx- through Linux or windows so the DVD would need only to see the specific partition correctly?

Things I already tried:
1) formatting the partition to FAT32 <-- OSx could try to verify/repair the partition but failed. When tried to reformat, it looked like everything is OK but nothing happened.

2) Changing the SATA BIOS setting from AHCI to Compatibility. Nothing changed.

3) Leave an unpartitioned space. Couldn't see it through the Disk Utility.

4) Leave an unformatted partition. Couldn't format it with the Disk Utility. Just like in 1).

Thank you.

EDIT: I installed hfsprogs from AUR but the file mkfs.hfs is not executable... it's teal in ls and looks like a shortcut in PCmanFM. Sorry smile noob question. How do I use it?

Last edited by SoleSoul (2010-01-16 17:09:25)

Board footer