You are not logged in.

#151 2010-01-17 13:03:06

ypnos
Member
Registered: 2007-12-30
Posts: 58

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

The IEGD driver 10.2 works with xserver 1.7.4. That is the configuration currently running on fit-pc2 Ubuntu 9.10. It sucks a lot however.

I will now try to apply fit-pc2 patches on Arch kernel.

Offline

#152 2010-01-24 14:00:46

ypnos
Member
Registered: 2007-12-30
Posts: 58

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

Please support our cause in fit-pc2 bbs:
http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1322

Offline

#153 2010-01-26 08:48:27

sreejiraj
Member
Registered: 2010-01-26
Posts: 5

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

the long and short of what works and what doesnt:

tried the psb drivers given by both authors with all three of 2.6.30, 31 and 32 kernels. Didn't work. Gave compile errors. Wasted about 5 hours.

tried uvesafb solution - worked at first try. Took half an hour.

Also, even if you manage to get the psb driver working, you will be forced to keep the system in a state of freeze since upgrades are likely to mess with the system. My suggestion for noobs is to go with uvesafb. Brightness control won't work through hotkeys unless you adjust it at the stage of Grub itself. The screen colours look slightly bland. If i find a tool to adjust the hue and/or gamma levels, will let  you know.

Thanks.

Offline

#154 2010-01-26 09:48:44

ypnos
Member
Registered: 2007-12-30
Posts: 58

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

PSB driver is obsolete. There is new IEGD driver. We just don't have access to the kernel patches in a usable form sad

Offline

#155 2010-01-30 05:59:33

sreejiraj
Member
Registered: 2010-01-26
Posts: 5

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

uvesafb arrangement seems to have suffered a setback after the upgrade to kernel 2.6.32 (latest) today.. when i put 'uvesafb' as the driver in xorg.conf, X doesn't start. When I auto configure X, it puts 'vesa'. Interestingly, vesa runs at the native resolution. BUT, there is a big issue with wobbling and overall sluggishness when scrolling.

Should I bother trying to get uvesafb working, rather than vesa? Or is it the same thing anyway?

Also, has anyone looked at the deb packages on the fitPC website linked in a previous post? I have a karmic installed as well.. should I try installing it from fitPC?

Offline

#156 2010-01-30 06:31:59

sreejiraj
Member
Registered: 2010-01-26
Posts: 5

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

found this: (seems interesting, says it's based on IEGD as well) : http://moblin.org/projects/2.1-ivi-fc-release


EDIT: downloaded and tried to boot it on my acer aspire one.. didn't boot up at all.

Last edited by sreejiraj (2010-01-30 17:03:37)

Offline

#157 2010-01-30 14:47:53

skottish
Forum Fellow
From: Here
Registered: 2006-06-16
Posts: 7,931

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

sreejiraj wrote:

found this: (seems interesting, says it's based on IEGD as well) : http://moblin.org/projects/2.1-ivi-fc-release

moblin is, at least in part, an Intel project. The drivers for GMA500 should appear there first. It's definitely a good place to watch.

Offline

#158 2010-01-30 17:48:25

rune0077
Member
Registered: 2009-04-11
Posts: 135

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

skottish wrote:
sreejiraj wrote:

found this: (seems interesting, says it's based on IEGD as well) : http://moblin.org/projects/2.1-ivi-fc-release

moblin is, at least in part, an Intel project. The drivers for GMA500 should appear there first. It's definitely a good place to watch.

They should, but they don't. I've got excellent support for my eee 1101ha on Ubuntu and Fedora, but not at all on Moblin. Which is a wee bit embarrasing for Intel, to say the least.

Offline

#159 2010-01-30 18:17:31

skottish
Forum Fellow
From: Here
Registered: 2006-06-16
Posts: 7,931

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

rune0077 wrote:
skottish wrote:
sreejiraj wrote:

found this: (seems interesting, says it's based on IEGD as well) : http://moblin.org/projects/2.1-ivi-fc-release

moblin is, at least in part, an Intel project. The drivers for GMA500 should appear there first. It's definitely a good place to watch.

They should, but they don't. I've got excellent support for my eee 1101ha on Ubuntu and Fedora, but not at all on Moblin. Which is a wee bit embarrasing for Intel, to say the least.

They have the old driver that's listed in the deprecated section of the moblin git repo:

http://git.moblin.org/

Even moblin dumped it because it's so unstable.

Offline

#160 2010-01-31 14:40:32

nicebloom
Member
From: Berlin
Registered: 2009-02-28
Posts: 37
Website

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

Well someone know how they could have managed to get this running? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=NzY2MA

Cheers,

nIcE


...:::h4cK:y0uR:d4y:::...
cool

Offline

#161 2010-02-20 13:27:47

chris.griffith
Member
Registered: 2009-10-24
Posts: 24

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

You may notice I have not been active on this subject for some time cause I was waiting for the "New" dirvers from intel.  I am writting to let everyone know, I was able to get IEGD drivers working on latest arch kernel (kernel26 = 2.6.32.8-1) and old version of Xserver (xorg-server-1.6.3.901-1).  I spent 4 days trying to get the kernel module to compile, then I stubbled on to this link http://www.nanoant.com/linux/compiling- … stribution.  Adam clearly lays out what is needed to get it to work.  So now I am running the new IEGD drivers.  I have some tweeking of the xorg.conf to do, but movies run without slowdown (which is all I ever wanted).  Fellow US15W/GMA500 users, I urge you to try this one out.  Also, there is a good document at http://edc.intel.com/Download.aspx?id=2 … fault.aspx.  It is on intel's IEGD landing page.
I am still unhappy with not being able to upgrade to latest Xserver Arch uses, but this is the best option I have seen yet.

Enjoy, chris


There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Offline

#162 2010-02-20 18:21:43

skottish
Forum Fellow
From: Here
Registered: 2006-06-16
Posts: 7,931

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

chris.griffith wrote:

You may notice I have not been active on this subject for some time cause I was waiting for the "New" dirvers from intel.  I am writting to let everyone know, I was able to get IEGD drivers working on latest arch kernel (kernel26 = 2.6.32.8-1) and old version of Xserver (xorg-server-1.6.3.901-1).  I spent 4 days trying to get the kernel module to compile, then I stubbled on to this link http://www.nanoant.com/linux/compiling- … stribution.  Adam clearly lays out what is needed to get it to work.  So now I am running the new IEGD drivers.  I have some tweeking of the xorg.conf to do, but movies run without slowdown (which is all I ever wanted).  Fellow US15W/GMA500 users, I urge you to try this one out.  Also, there is a good document at http://edc.intel.com/Download.aspx?id=2 … fault.aspx.  It is on intel's IEGD landing page.
I am still unhappy with not being able to upgrade to latest Xserver Arch uses, but this is the best option I have seen yet.

Enjoy, chris

Thanks for posting this. If I just got sane scrolling and color and contrast looking good, I'd be all sorts of happy. Running off to get netbook tested...

Offline

#163 2010-02-22 11:13:01

delmonico
Member
Registered: 2004-06-27
Posts: 82

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

After completing the (completely ridiculous) registration process at the intel website, no matter what I do, i always get the Windows driver. Could anyone please share the Linux IEGD package?

Offline

#164 2010-02-22 18:37:18

delmonico
Member
Registered: 2004-06-27
Posts: 82

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

Okay, you have to install it on Windows, then find the linux drivers. Fscking morons...

Offline

#165 2010-02-22 19:10:42

dauerbaustelle
Member
Registered: 2010-02-07
Posts: 62

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

Is anyone going to figure out a easy solution for compiling that drivers using Arch? So I can relax and wait for things to sort out theirselves.

Offline

#166 2010-02-22 19:17:53

delmonico
Member
Registered: 2004-06-27
Posts: 82

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

Chris, did you get errors like this while compiling?

  CC [M]  /home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM/agp/drv_cmn.o
/home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM/agp/drv_cmn.c: In function 'iegd_cmn_mask_memory':
/home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM/agp/drv_cmn.c:594: error: implicit declaration of function 'phys_to_gart'
make[2]: *** [/home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM/agp/drv_cmn.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.32-ARCH'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Offline

#167 2010-02-22 19:19:40

delmonico
Member
Registered: 2004-06-27
Posts: 82

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

Also, what packages did you downgrade to older xorg? Only xorg-server or do I need more?

Offline

#168 2010-02-22 22:31:43

pie86
Member
Registered: 2009-09-06
Posts: 72

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

delmonico wrote:

Chris, did you get errors like this while compiling?

  CC [M]  /home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM/agp/drv_cmn.o
/home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM/agp/drv_cmn.c: In function 'iegd_cmn_mask_memory':
/home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM/agp/drv_cmn.c:594: error: implicit declaration of function 'phys_to_gart'
make[2]: *** [/home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM/agp/drv_cmn.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/cn/Downloads/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IEGD_10_3_Linux/IKM] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.32-ARCH'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I experienced the same error. Sobstituting line 594 of drv_cmn.c  with this:

        unsigned long address = page_to_phys(addr);

Makes you able to complete the compiling process. However please pay attention to this:
1) The above solution is probably completely wrong since I just know just a little about C programming and I *do not know* anything about kernel drivers etc.

2) I couldn't test the compiled driver becouse my dmesg says

[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
drm_psb: exports duplicate symbol drm_order

Any help is very appreciated! smile

Offline

#169 2010-02-23 01:45:13

chris.griffith
Member
Registered: 2009-10-24
Posts: 24

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

delmonico: I had been hacking away trying to solve build problems like the one you posted, then I found that link I posted, followed the instructions and it just worked.  Looking back now, I can say there was a change I made that was not in that instruction that fixed the error you saw with implicit declaration.  to fix that, edit line 108...

#define CONVERT_PAGE_TO_GART(a)  phys_to_gart(page_to_phys(a));

to

#define CONVERT_PAGE_TO_GART(a)  page_to_phys(a)

This will fix build error.

also, I downgraded xorg-server and xf86-input-* packages only.

pie86: I wonder if you still have previous psb driver packages install.  You must remove that stuff.

I am still very dissatisfied with this driver.  Yeah, I can now watch movies, but the system is very unstable.  I can not suspend/hibernate.  And I am still stuck on an old version of xserver.  I don't even know where to begin debugging the problem cause I get no errors in the logs.  The system just freezes.  If any knows where to get xorg-server-1.6.4.901 arch packages, please post.  I am wondering if the slight version difference is the problem.


There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Offline

#170 2010-02-23 07:12:47

delmonico
Member
Registered: 2004-06-27
Posts: 82

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

Thanks for the help. Got everything compiled, but the kernel module segfaults as soon as x is started... Giving up, again.

Last edited by delmonico (2010-02-23 07:12:59)

Offline

#171 2010-02-23 18:57:51

imraro
Member
From: NewPath
Registered: 2009-11-06
Posts: 21

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

chris.griffith wrote:

I don't even know where to begin debugging the problem cause I get no errors in the logs.  The system just freezes.

Maybe it is problem with KMS in newest kernels?

Last edited by imraro (2010-02-23 19:00:52)

Offline

#172 2010-02-25 00:24:42

chris.griffith
Member
Registered: 2009-10-24
Posts: 24

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

imraro,

The symptoms I am seeing certainly fit in with a KMS problem, but from my understanding, an module has to implement KMS before it can be turned on/off.  I doubt the IEGD drivers implement this features.  I did just for grins added "nomodeset" to my kernel boot params but that had not effect.  To summarize, I can reproduce a problem if I log into an xsession and then switch to virtual terminal.  I am getting a kernel panic on a method in the iegd_mod called iegd_plb_vm_nopage in drv_plb.c on line 543.  The error is, "Referencing non-existent struct page".

Not sure I know enough about agp/drm/kernel to track it down.  If anyone else has any instability issues with IEGD 10.3 please share.  Am I the only one?  Is there a problem with my compile of IKM?

thanks, cgriffith

Last edited by chris.griffith (2010-02-25 00:33:15)


There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Offline

#173 2010-02-25 00:33:12

ypnos
Member
Registered: 2007-12-30
Posts: 58

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

I guess you are the only one who really has it running. It is already a PITA to get the drivers out of that non-sense Windows packaging.

I will try these drivers, however...
1. Why doesn't it work with Xorg 1.7? I know that this is common knowledge and the fucking Intel driver kit says so as well... but fitPC have it for Xorg 1.7.4 (Ubuntu Karmic). Would you like to try the Xorg driver from http://fit-pc2.com/download/ubuntu/dists/karmic/source/ with the kernel module you built?
2. Does mplayer-vaapi work for you in a stable fashion with this driver?

Thank you!

Offline

#174 2010-02-25 00:56:22

chris.griffith
Member
Registered: 2009-10-24
Posts: 24

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

Man the Arch forums are doing strange things...

ypnos: Ubuntu 9.10 (ie. Karmic Koala) uses Xorg 7.4 which contains Xserver 1.6.4

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ub … c_Koala.29

Last edited by chris.griffith (2010-02-25 00:57:17)


There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Offline

#175 2010-02-25 01:00:48

ypnos
Member
Registered: 2007-12-30
Posts: 58

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

What a shame that I simply didn't get that. Thank you, I stand corrected on that.

So anyway I'm on my quest to follow the guide you provided here to get IEGD built on Arch myself.

I have another question for you: Where did you get suitable old Xorg Arch packages? And what about my question 2? smile
p.s.: I found kdemod repositories.

Last edited by ypnos (2010-02-25 01:52:50)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB