You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-24 21:19:59

jmak

Problem with display manager

Hello,

I've just installed arch with xfce desktop. But the display manager gives me hard time. First, I installed gdm, but it didn't remember the session. At each reboot the panels and and everything went back to default.

Then I uninstalled gdm and installed xgm-archlinux. I did the neccesary modifications suggested at installation. It comes up nicely but do not accept may password. When entering my username and password, the screen blacks out and the display manager comes back again asking the password.

The gdm accepted the password and I could log in.

Could anyone suggest me how to solve this problem either with gdm or xdm.

Thanks,
jmak

#2 2009-12-24 23:45:08

jmak

Re: Problem with display manager

I also get this xsession errors.

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/gdm/Xsession: ssh-agent not found!
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: startxfce4
/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
<stdin>:1: error: Unknown #directive "Those"
    # Those are fallback settings, use the ui plugin to change it
<stdin>:2: error: Unknown #directive "or"
    # or add your overrides to ~/.Xresources
<stdin>:3: error: Unknown #directive "Xft"
    # Xft.hintstyle: hintnone/hintslight/hintmedium/hintfull
<stdin>:4: error: Unknown #directive "Xft"
    # Xft hinting: 1/0
4 errors in preprocessor.
xrdb:  "Xft.hinting" on line 9 overrides entry on line 6
xrdb:  "Xft.hintstyle" on line 11 overrides entry on line 7
which: no ssh-agent in (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/perlbin/site:/usr/bin/perlbin/vendor:/usr/bin/perlbin/core)

(xfce4-session:1619): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion `filename != NULL' failed

** (xfsettingsd:1633): CRITICAL **: Failed to write to '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb': Failed to create file '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb.A2DR5U': Permission denied

(xfsettingsd:1633): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_file_set_contents: assertion `error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed

** (xfsettingsd:1633): CRITICAL **: Failed to write to '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xcursor.xrdb': (null)

** (xfsettingsd:1633): CRITICAL **: Failed to write to '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb': Failed to create file '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb.DACR5U': Permission denied

(xfsettingsd:1633): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_file_set_contents: assertion `error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed

** (xfsettingsd:1633): CRITICAL **: Failed to write to '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xcursor.xrdb': (null)

** (xfsettingsd:1633): CRITICAL **: Failed to write to '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb': Failed to create file '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb.GBCR5U': Permission denied

** (xfsettingsd:1633): CRITICAL **: Failed to write to '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb': Failed to create file '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb.41BR5U': Permission denied

** (xfsettingsd:1633): CRITICAL **: Failed to write to '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb': Failed to create file '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb.4OBR5U': Permission denied

** (xfsettingsd:1633): CRITICAL **: Failed to write to '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb': Failed to create file '/home/mak/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb.OQBR5U': Permission denied

xfdesktop[1632]: starting up
sh: fortune: command not found

(xfce4-settings-helper:1635): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: Unable to open file /home/mak/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.1635.tmp for writing: Permission denied

(xfce4-settings-helper:1635): xfce4-settings-helper-WARNING **: Failed to write autostart file

(xfce4-settings-helper:1635): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: Unable to open file /home/mak/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.1635.tmp for writing: Permission denied

xfce4-settings-helper is already running

(xfce4-settings-helper:1646): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_param_spec_flags: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_FLAGS (flags_type)' failed

(xfce4-settings-helper:1646): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_class_install_property: assertion `G_IS_PARAM_SPEC (pspec)' failed
Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkOptionMenu::indicator-size' of type `GtkRequisition' from rc file value "0" of type `glong'
Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkOptionMenu::indicator-spacing' of type `GtkBorder' from rc file value "0" of type `glong'

(xfce4-panel:1628): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: Internal plugins need the "X-XFCE-Module-Path" entry to work properly.

(xfce4-panel:1628): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: Failed to create plugin "smartbookmark"

(xfce4-panel:1628): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: Internal plugins need the "X-XFCE-Module-Path" entry to work properly.

(xfce4-panel:1628): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: Failed to create plugin "quicklauncher"
Unable to write local autostart file: Permission denied at /usr/lib/xfce4/xfconf-migration/xfconf-migration-4.6.pl line 128.

MCS->Xfconf settings migration complete

(xfdesktop:1632): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: Unable to open file /home/mak/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc.new.1632.tmp for writing: Permission denied

(xfdesktop:1632): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: Unable to open file /home/mak/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc.new.1632.tmp for writing: Permission denied

** (xfdesktop:1632): WARNING **: Unable to rename temp file to /home/mak/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc: Permission denied

(xfce4-tips:1642): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: Unable to open file /home/mak/.config/autostart/xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop.1642.tmp for writing: Permission denied

(xfce4-tips:1642): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: Unable to open file /home/mak/.config/autostart/xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop.1642.tmp for writing: Permission denied

(Thunar:1630): Thunar-WARNING **: Failed to open metafile database in /home/mak/.cache/Thunar/metafile.tdb: Permission denied.
Error: No running window found

(firefox:1666): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

(Thunar:1630): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: Unable to open file /home/mak/.config/Thunar/thunarrc.1630.tmp for writing: Permission denied

(Thunar:1630): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: Unable to open file /home/mak/.config/Thunar/thunarrc.1630.tmp for writing: Permission denied

#3 2009-12-25 04:04:51

jmak

It seems, I managed to fix the problem. From some reason  the directories in the home directory had root privileges and the session couldn't be written in the appropriate directories. I changed the ownership of the directories and this fixed the problem. I still get some error reports like the ones below, but the system seems ok.

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/gdm/Xsession: ssh-agent not found!
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: startxfce4
which: no ssh-agent in (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/perlbin/site:/usr/bin/perlbin/vendor:/usr/bin/perlbin/core)

(xfce4-session:1621): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfwm4:1627): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfsettingsd:1628): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(Thunar:1629): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-settings-helper:1630): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-power-manager:1632): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfdesktop:1631): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
xfdesktop[1631]: starting up

(xfce4-panel:1633): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-settings-helper:1635): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_param_spec_flags: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_FLAGS (flags_type)' failed

(xfce4-settings-helper:1635): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_class_install_property: assertion `G_IS_PARAM_SPEC (pspec)' failed

(xfce4-panel:1633): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: Internal plugins need the "X-XFCE-Module-Path" entry to work properly.

(xfce4-panel:1633): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: Failed to create plugin "smartbookmark"

(xfce4-panel:1633): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: Internal plugins need the "X-XFCE-Module-Path" entry to work properly.

(xfce4-panel:1633): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: Failed to create plugin "quicklauncher"

(xfce4-menu-plugin:1639): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-systemload-plugin:1640): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-weather-plugin:1642): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-screenshooter-plugin:1641): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-sensors-plugin:1643): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-xkb-plugin:1644): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-xkb-plugin:1644): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_param_spec_flags: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_FLAGS (flags_type)' failed

(xfce4-xkb-plugin:1644): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_class_install_property: assertion `G_IS_PARAM_SPEC (pspec)' failed

(xfce4-xkb-plugin:1644): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_destroy: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

(xfce4-xkb-plugin:1644): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_destroy: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

(xfce4-clipman:1648): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(xfce4-power-manager:1652): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

#4 2010-01-12 16:33:08

bsdson.tw

I have similar errors:

now, I can get into x-window, but not via xdm. sad

#5 2010-01-17 17:47:37

henkidefix

bsdson: i don't understand your first error message. The others i recognise because recently spend some time to get rid of them:
"<stdin>:1: error: Unknown #directive "Those"
    # Those are fallback settings, use the ui plugin to change it"
There is a file: /etc/xdg/xfce4/Xft.xrdb
when you remove the comment lines that start with #
your first 2 errors are gone.
Another file: /home/some-user/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb
can be deleted and this removes 2 more errors.
But than anyway these "errors" are harmless as far is i can see and do not explain the problem at the begin of this thread.

Board footer