You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-18 02:18:44

EchoLynx
Website

[SOLVED] Appropriate Partitioning of 1GB System

Hello. I am very new to Linux outside of GNOME, but have a project that I would like to pursue.

I support BOINC projects such as Climateprediction.net and SETI@Home. I would like to build a kind of computer cluster, running a trimmed down flavor of Linux with enough software only to support running the BOINC client. Originally, I was going to start from scratch at LinuxFromScratch.org, but then I remembered Archlinux, which is why I am here.
--
I would very much like to install Archlinux configured for my 'project' on a 1GB USB flash drive, so I can copy the system to various other 1GB flash drives I have as well as to make my system portable.

Unfortunately, because I am very much used to grouping everything into one large partition when I install Linux, I don't really know what I should be doing when it comes to partitioning my flash drives. I like the idea of splitting the system up, but the recommended sizes listed in the howto are - to my knowledge - made for those intending to use Archlinux as a primary system for multiple tasks, and thus are far too big for my puny 1GB drives.

So I am asking - how would you partition a 1GB drive with the intention of running only one program, with very little modification to the system for long periods of time?

-Ian

Last edited by EchoLynx (2010-01-18 12:54:15)

#2 2010-01-18 02:49:05

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Appropriate Partitioning of 1GB System

Why paritition at all? Run the whole thing as Ext3.

#3 2010-01-18 12:21:08

EchoLynx
Website

I mentioned before that I was very new at Linux. For that reason, I am trying to learn as much as I can over the course of this project. I probably could use only one partition for root, but that would leave me with less understanding of other possibilities, as well as limit my options in terms of separating user data from system data, which I have great interest in pursuing.

-Ian

#4 2010-01-18 12:25:24

Allan
Pacman
Website

For your current project, I would not partition a 1GB drive at all.

Generally, I have a 128MB /boot, 10GB /, 4GB swap and the rest to /home.

#5 2010-01-18 12:28:11

barzam

When dealing with such limited disk space I don't see the reason to make separate partitions. If however you decide to do that, I'd recommend you only create two partitions, one for / and the other for /home. /home needs to be fairly small so your system fits on /.

The good reason to have separate partitions is that you can setup different file systems on each one, different file access rules, and stuff like that. These reasons don't really apply on your pendrive so I'd have to agree with falconindy and recommend that you create one sole partition wiht either ext3 or ext2.

#6 2010-01-18 12:53:58

EchoLynx
Website

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to go with using a single partition for this project.

Problem resolved.

Board footer