You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-13 18:04:01

jlowell

xfce4-rc3

From the appearance of things, xfce4-rc4 has just been made available. The components have just been updated in the unofficial repository. Are the rc-3 components still obtainable as binaries or must one now build these on one's own from source tarballs at the xfce4 site?

jlowell

#2 2003-09-13 18:12:07

Toth

Re: xfce4-rc3

You'd have to build rc3 yourself. Or the rc3 packages may still be in pacman's cache if you haven't cleared it (and previously installed it). Check /var/cache/pacman/pkg.

Any reason why you would want rc3 over rc4?

#3 2003-09-13 18:44:06

jlowell

Hi Toth,

Yes. As you know, I have xfwm4 plus enough additional packages to make it function suitably as a stand alone WM on one of my workstations here. Last night I tried to make the same kind of installation on a second workstation but ran into trouble. The first noticeable difference appeared right off the bat when the mouse indicator on-screen showed as an X rather than an ->. The next indication of trouble was manifested by a settings manager that wouldn't display properly when I tried to see if the mouse configuration could be changed by using it. Then I noticed that the taskbar wasn't on the desktop; an open space was displayed in its place. Finally, running pacman -Q to see if I'd installed all the correct packages (I compared with the machine on which I've got it functioning properly) I noticed that the panel had installed when I'd not called for it. Trying to remove it, I got an error indicating that it was a dependency of a package I'd installed! Something seems very wrong with rc4, either intrinsically or with our binary. I tried the install twice with the same results. Since I'd gotten rc3 on without difficulty, I thought I'd revert to it but didn't know if I'd still be able to get the binaries.

jlowell

#4 2003-09-13 19:50:33

neri
Forum Fellow

jlowell wrote:

Hi Toth,

Yes. As you know, I have xfwm4 plus enough additional packages to make it function suitably as a stand alone WM on one of my workstations here. Last night I tried to make the same kind of installation on a second workstation but ran into trouble. The first noticeable difference appeared right off the bat when the mouse indicator on-screen showed as an X rather than an ->. The next indication of trouble was manifested by a settings manager that wouldn't display properly when I tried to see if the mouse configuration could be changed by using it. Then I noticed that the taskbar wasn't on the desktop; an open space was displayed in its place. Finally, running pacman -Q to see if I'd installed all the correct packages (I compared with the machine on which I've got it functioning properly) I noticed that the panel had installed when I'd not called for it. Trying to remove it, I got an error indicating that it was a dependency of a package I'd installed! Something seems very wrong with rc4, either intrinsically or with our binary. I tried the install twice with the same results. Since I'd gotten rc3 on without difficulty, I thought I'd revert to it but didn't know if I'd still be able to get the binaries.

jlowell

xfwm4-rc4 is known to be buggy  (according to their mailing-list it is the
main reason why there is no final release). Befor you downgrade please
tweak your PKGBUILD:

# $Id: PKGBUILD,v 1.8 2003/08/28 19:41:57 aurelien Exp $
# Maintainer: Aurelien Foret <orelien@chez.com>
pkgname=xfwm4
pkgver=3.99.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="xfce4 window manager (originally based on Oroborus)"
url="http://www.xfce.org"
depends=('libxfce4mcs' 'libxfcegui4')
#source=(http://www.xfce.org/archive/xfce4-rc4/src/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
source=(http://www.xfce.org/archive/test/xfwm4-cvs.tar.bz2)

build() {
  [ -f /etc/profile.d/xfce4.sh ] && . /etc/profile.d/xfce4.sh
  #cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname
  ./configure --prefix=/opt/xfce4
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}

there happen the most fixes. Please try it.

If you still want to downgrade:
cd /absroot/unstable/xfce4
clean it up:
find . -name 'pkg' -exec rm -rf {} ;
find . -name 'src' -exec rm -rf {} ;
find . -name '*.pkg.tar.gz' -exec rm -rf {} ;

tweak the files:
find . -name 'PKGBUILD' -exec sed -i 's|xfce4-rc4|xfce4-rc3|' {} ;
find . -name 'PKGBUILD' -exec sed -i 's|3.994|3.993|' {} ;
manually edit gtk-xfce-engine/PKGBUILD
version must be corrected from 2.1.5 to 2.1.4

hope this help to save some typing  tongue

cd /absroot
finally a
makeworld -bi /packages/to/anywhere unstable/xfce4

bye neri

#5 2003-09-13 20:18:08

jlowell

Hi neri!

It's been a while. Hope things are well!

So you think we can still manage with rc4? Since I'm reasonably new to Arch and have not yet built a package of my own using the standard script provided, I just wanted to make certain that's what you have in mind for me to do, or are you suggesting that I edit the build script provided by the author after downloading the tarball and running it straight out?

jlowell

#6 2003-09-13 22:26:27

neri
Forum Fellow

Hi,

things are fine, thanks!

jlowell wrote:

Hi neri!

It's been a while. Hope things are well!

So you think we can still manage with rc4? Since I'm reasonably new to Arch and have not yet built a package of my own using the standard script provided, I just wanted to make certain that's what you have in mind for me to do, or are you suggesting that I edit the build script provided by the author after downloading the tarball and running it straight out?

jlowell

well I really think, you should guve it a try. For example, only with this
cvs-snapshot blender becomes useable in xfce4.
To stop your confusion.
1. run 'abs' as root
2. navigate to absroot/unstable/xfce4/xfwm
3. the script provided in the other post is the originalscript, which I
downloaded today, It is uptodate. Two lines are changed to download the
new cvs version. So replace it with what I posted.
4. Remove the old xfwm-package from your system, to make sure it is not
building against old libs. If you have xfwm4-themes installed you will have
to force that. 'pacman -Rd xfwm4'
5. make sure you are still in that directory. Next is 'makepkg'
6. pacman -A xfwm-3.99.4-1.pkg.tar.gz

cross your fingers and restart X.

HTH, next reply will take some time, I'll be climbing tomorrow.  tongue

bye neri

#7 2003-09-23 03:19:30

jlowell

neri,

Sorry to be so tardy in getting back to you.

You know, I decided to go ahead with the rc-3 builds anyway, but ran into significant trouble with the second of them that I tried to build, libxfce4util. The script in our repository dated August 27 for this package does not work for some reason. From my end it was simple to make the package; all I had to do was create the file, copy the prototype, and fill in the blanks. But it won't install with the install script as it was then written by our developer, it self-destructs. Frankly, that surprized me, the first one went OK. But I certainly wouldn't know what to do to fix the problem myself - something arcane like missing install directories. Why that would be the case is anyone's guess. When rc-3 was current, libxfce4util went on just fine.

Looking at the ten or so packages that I'd have to build to get this concept to work now and, apparently not being able to count on what of rc-3 is in our repository at the moment, I've decided to pack it in and go with another WM. I just don't have the time to work this thing through right now.

When are we likely to see a rc-5 or a final release of xfce4? Maybe that would be the time to tackle this assignment.

jlowell

#8 2003-09-23 10:16:40

neri
Forum Fellow

hi,

all this seems to be a bit confusing. Especially that there is trouble with
libxfce4util, which is actually the first package of the whole set, since most
of the other packages depend directly or indirectly on it. The install-script
itself just adds the line /opt/xfce4/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf to make the
libs known to the system. If it works or not you can check by open the
file.

Actually AFAIR there has nothing changed in the style of the PKGBUILD's
from xfce4-rc3 to rc4. The last change was a dependency of the panel on
xfce-mcs-manager which has been added before rc3. I don't know of
other thing which have changed.

According to the mailinglist ther won't be a rc5. The "last roundtrip" has
happened, there won't be big changes any more. The y seem to be in the
state of testing the final tarballs. [speculation]I think the final release will
come out within the next two weeks[/speculation]. When it is out you
should give it another try and I think we will figure out your problems.

bye neri

Board footer