You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-13 12:44:58

awayand

activating lvm on root partition

Hello guys,

I want to move to lvm2 on my arch installation, I haven't used any lvm before. So here's what I did so far:

1. shrink root partition using gparted to 7 gigabytes
2. created an lvm partition with size 8 gigabytes
3. migrated all files from the root partition to the lvm partition (in single user mode: # rsync -axSX / /newpartition)
4. added lvm2 hook before the filesystems hook in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf according to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Con … #Using_lvm
5. regenerated the initramfs image using # sudo mkinitcpio -g /boot/kernel26.img
5a. added a grub entry with root=/dev/vg/root (I have no idea what the difference is between that and /dev/mapper/vg-root)
5b. edited /etc/fstab to use /dev/vg/root (again, no idea if /dev/mapper/vg-root would have been more appropriate) as root mountpoint "/"
6. Rebooted
7. Unfortunately, I cannot copy-paste the output, but upon reboot, the initramfs loads fine, it seems to recognize to lvm2 volume, but then says "trying to open console - not found" or something like that and then kernel panics on me.

Any ideas?
thanks!

#2 2010-01-18 21:05:25

drama

Re: activating lvm on root partition

Did you change "use lvm=no" to "use lvm=yes" in /etc/rc.conf? This is needed but i didnt see it mentioned. Also will you do the following from the arch cd

modprobe dm-mod

then

vgchange -ay

then post the output of the following command

ls /dev/mapper/

OS: Archlinux 64Bit Hardware: Cpu: Amd Sempron 3500+(2.0ghz) (socket 939), Ram: Kingston 1gb dual channel ddr (512mb x2), Gpu: BFG Nvidia 8400gs PciE 512mb (G98), Mobo: Asus a8ae-le/amberine-m (factory hp), Optical: LiteOn Dvd writer, HDD: Western Digital 160GB Sata, Soundcard: Dynex 5.1 Channel (VIA Envy24/ICE1724 chip), Monitor: MAG 565 15 inch Lcd

#3 2010-01-18 23:45:33

awayand

Re: activating lvm on root partition

I did that: Here is the output:

[x@eee ~]$ ls /dev/mapper/
control  vg-root

I don't think that editing rc.conf is of any use in my case, because I actually want lvm active *before* rc.conf can even be read, but I changed it anyways and it still won't work. sad

Board footer